External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Decisions, Decisions: What kit should I put on my car?

Old 03-24-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, right now, you shouldn't be thinking about the kit on the car itself, more than likely that Genie kit will not make it through shipping in one piece. I can bet IT WILL be cracked in several places upon arrival. suicide
Old 03-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I got it in one piece. It was VERY well packaged, and it was NOT cheap.

The main think I am worried about is how low the front end is, and how many damn "dips" and sloped entryways there are here in califorina. 90% of the wear on my old kit was due to that kind of scraping, and that was at stock ride height. I'll be going lower, and with only 2-3" of ground clearance, I'm worried that this front end just won't survive. Right now, I'm contemplating putting an aluminum "splitter" on the bottom to act as a skid plate, hoping that will "slide" over the pavement rather than ripping into the fiberglass of the body kit.

For Maier- with how low this kit is, I'm worried about you driving in snow, or hitting a chunk of ice off a car wheel well (those "clunkers" that accumulate behind tires) and having it just destroy your kit.

It's a good looking kit, I just don't think you can put it on a daily driver. Once it goes on, the car will have to be for occasional use.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:32 PM

My suggestion for the ride height is a simple solution but it wouldn't be simple to do. You might try putting a skid plate on the bottom like Random mentioned but on top of which, attach support members up through the bottom of the bumper to exsisting metal pieces on the car. I'm sure it would take a lot of time and patience to get it right but after that you would have something that would withstand the occasional steep driveway or poorly placed curb. I'm NOT talking about something that would support the weight of the car or anything but something that would keep the bumper from smashing completely from a mishap. I'm sure some of you have seen pics of skid plates with support members attached to the front of the ground effects, well just put them on the inside up into metal instead of just attaching them to the weak bumper. You could even possibly fabricate something out of aluminum that will drop down to the same height as the bumper. Something nice and strong. I'm sure you get what I'm saying. I hope this idea might help. Or you could always get an air-ride suicide
Old 03-25-2003, 08:26 AM

Air ride is definetely not an option for me.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:27 AM

Maier, the air ride comment was complete sarcasm. I am well aware on how worthless air ride is for performance (I'm not dissin' it's looks) but it's got horrible handling.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:36 AM

hehe...I know.

I'm still trying to get that damn kit, but its so hard

Not to mention...I need to sell my GT-R kit now.
Any takers? I'll sell it to you for cheap