External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

is debadging really illegal?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon
Default is debadging really illegal?

ok so here is a abstract of my story... me being the lovely bf i am, bought my girl some tuscani badges for her tib (i have a couple on mine too)... everything was going as planned when suddenly her parents freaked out saying that its illegal, "tampering w/ identification" basically saying "its a tiburon not a tuscani" and when i tried to explain it they weren't buying it. and that cops wont know what to write on the ticket and all that crap. then it had me thinking to ask my fellow HA members if they ever came across a similiar problem when taking off the Hyundai or Tiburon emblems and replace it with one of a tuscani?

I have heard of people getting in trouble who are in california for doing that because of all the issues with stolen vehicles. something about how it throws the cops off some. what do you all think?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I've never heard of that. I've been pulled over and had the cop ask (after looking at registration), "So this is a Hun-die Tib yew ron?"

He told me he could write me a ticket for improper maintenance of a vehicle (zip ties holding license plate) but that he'd give me a warning. Later I found out he was full of sh*t, it's perfectly legal to have your license plate secured by zip ties. My subs were vibrating the screws out of the holes and I hadn't installed the mounts for the screws yet, so I used zip ties.

He never said anything about not having any badges.

OOOHHH!!! AND!! Look at my signature. The DEALERSHIP rebadged my car themselves. Yes, it says Genesis Coupe on it, but it no longer has a Crooked H anywhere on the car.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

As far as I know, there is no law requiring you to identify the car on the outside of it in any way. I've never heard of a law like that anywhere in the US, but some stupid jurisdiction might have one on the books.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Pretty much any state worth living in has its motor vehicle code posted on the Internet somewhere. Go look it up!

Edit: and you'd have heard a thousand "stupid reason I got a ticket" stories about it by now if it were illegal.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Putting that badge on that car is tasteless anyways might as well get a type r badge while your at it
Old 07-20-2010, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

That's it!! I'm calling the cops on my friend. He has a Freightliner badge on his VW Jetta TDI
Old 07-21-2010, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Ive been debadged for awhile now and have been pulled over twice for speeding since then. Cops never said a word about it, he simply took the make an model from my registration both times.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

correlation != causation
Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 02/hyundai/accent

my car is completely badgless all the way down from the accent to the good old crooked h. and i never had any problems. and my state is pretty tough on stolen cars and parts and matching vin numbers and all that good stuff.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Note: don't change the badges with the VIN on them and you're probably 100% legal in all 50 states.