External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Color differences in HID kits

Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Elantra
Default Color differences in HID kits

Why is it that one HID kit from Company A that is a 8000K color may look whiter or bluer than Company B's 8000K kit? Is it differences in the way the ballast or bulbs are made?

I always thought that it was universal and no matter what company you went through, the kelvin ratings for the kits are the same color no matter what.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Color temperature of the camera and photoshopping.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Kelvin ratings would require research and testing for bulbs, and consistent production. I'm sure many kits are being mass produced cheaply just to get a quick buck. While it should be fairly consistent, maybe the glass/plastic/tint/projectors on the headlights cause a different look/effect or maybe there are large ranges in temperature between kits.

Use the color scale as a guideline.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It's all in the bulbs and ballast output. Higher output always looks whiter than lower with the same color bulb.

And, the fact that there is no real standard for measuring it varies by manufacturer.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

put it this way, I buy HID kits from just one of my maybe 15 suppliers that all carry different brands, for 40 bucks a kit. I probably have other companies that sell at 20 something as well. At those prices, you know you're not buying heavily tested quality stuff, just mass produced cheapness that sells because people insist on buying crap.

I also carry OEM kits that come with a new Lexus for example, for about 220. Its all about the buyer, and how often they want to replace ballasts and bulbs smile.gif