External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Body Guys Help Me With A Fender Issue?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacement fenders aren't to expensive! (about $120 each when i got mine) and repainting isn't too bad if you have access to a garage for about 3 days. Besides that i think the screwdriver or the body hammer will be your best bet.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:09 PM

i would have to say no more than 300- 350 degrees with the heat gun and have a sponge and cold water ready. might not work but worth a shot
Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It didn't work. I had it up to 1400 degrees and heated up the paint until I couldn't touch it, then I blasted it with an upside down can of compressed air. There was no change. I'l have to get these dents out from the inside.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

dtn i hope you didn't ruin your paint with that heat!! 02.gif i meant from the inside with the fender off. you can bang it out. hmm, wonder why it's so hard. it was ok with mine. maybe your dent is just different than mine haha. you need a hammer, preferably with a rubber end. heat that sucka up and bang it out from the back. it did the job in the elantra, a dent about the size of a cd.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 PM
DTN

no, that is the air temperature leaving the heat gun. It's not the temperature of the surface. It did not burn the surface at all. I just kept checking to see if it was too hot.

I'm not banging anything on this car. I'll roll it out with something if I can. but I'm not going to risk banging.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

ah right on. i trust you can do it, you can do anything. no pro advice from me haha. but yeah i wouldn't bang it either. you sort of have to roll it using the edge of the hammer. thing is my dent was bad enough it had to be hit and was on the trunk. but hyundai uses really cheap material for the body, so it shouldn't be impossible.

i have to fix my fenders too. it's getting annoying with the 215's rubbing every time i turn.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 97 tiburon

don't tap or hit it, just rub it.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
DTN

I tried reaching in from the corner lights and I couldn't really stretch that far with my hand. I'm going to have to either get the car on a lift and pull out the inner fender, or drop the fender off the car so that I can work on it. I'll try the removing inner fender on a lift first because I could put it at eye level and really get a good view of it. A drop lamp will help so that I can inspect with light coming from any direction I like. Since I'll be at the auto shop to use the lift I'll also have access to body hammers/rollers. Any tips?

the body hammer kit looks similar to this. Apparently it's the tool set of choice for dings and dents when you have access to behind the panel.

I don't have any experience with them and I'll have to ask the people at the autocraft shop how to use them exactly, so any input on the proper use of this tool kit would be helpful

what are those 4 tools at the bottom?