External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Body Guys Help Me With A Fender Issue?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My fenders got really jacked up on a turn with a speed bump.

I'm wondering if anyone has a good fix for this? I've heard of paintless dent repair. I dont know how it works.

I have access to a set of body hammers, a heat gun, canned air, and a popsident. I can buy any other tools that I need. What would be a good course of action?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

A couple of ideas would be to heat up the fender (heat gun) and quick cool down (hose) the rapid temp change may get the fender to pop back to it's original shape if it isn't really bad. I've heard of people doing this for hail damage. Another option is large suction cup pullers.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM
DTN

Here's the thing.. I know how to deal with a straight dent like a door ding. I don't know how to deal with a compound dent. The front wheels came up and smacked my fender, causing it to bend inwards.

I'm not opposed to taking the fender off and rolling the dent out with a body hammer. I just want to make sure there isn't an easier way. Or if other methods will work, i'd like to do this the easy way.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

haah got the same thing partner! i'd take the fender off and just bang it out from behind. the paint shouldn't come off too bad. gloss will probably crack some, you'd probably have to heat it up a little. i didn't fix mine because 1. i'm too lazy and 2. it looks better beat up so nobody will ---- with my car haha.

infact, you don't even need a hammer just use your fingers. as far as the paint, i think you'd have to get it matched using touchup. shouldn't be too hard. spray some gloss, buff it out with a heat buffer. i would think you got that lip nicely sprayed they can help you out a bit?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 PM
DTN

hyunshark21 brought up the fact that there's a good access point from behind the corner light. I'm going to try that tomorrow with the blunt end of a screwdriver... Maybe a body hammer. Those body hammers have curved surfaces that you can roll across to reshape dents.

I've got to go to sleep now. Even though I'm on leave right now for 2 weeks, I've got a medical appointment as a part of separation from the army tomorrow at 7AM. I'll check this thread before I head to the auto shop. Keep the good ideas comming guys. Any input on working metal and techniques would be helpful.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM

lol screw fixing the dents, you should do this to you car

those fenders would look sweet with your tib, but yea hopefully my idea works for you.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 AM

its really hard to see it in the vid but really i would try to tap it out from behind as much as possible.
Just tap around the outside edges of the dent and and hopefulley it will raise the dent out completely.
If not i would have to recomend what what purple tib said just heat it up with a heat gun until its nice and hot and the rapidly cool it
i have had to do it abunch of times. wont ruin the paint and it does work. goodluck man
Old 02-14-2009, 11:32 AM
DTN

Yeah, um... bout that.. The only reason I havn't tried it yet is my heat gun ranges from 250- 1400F I've used it to burn/strip high temp paint off of the manifold heat shield before. What setting should I use? 350? 400? what temperature is safe for paint?

My popsident did not work and I did not have a chance to try banging it out yesterday. I'm going out of town for the weekend and I will be attempting again on monday.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 PM

take it to a body shop and have someone do it properly. If ya start messing with it odds are you'll just make it worse. My guess is it would only be around $500 to have it fixed and repainted.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 AM
DTN

I don't think I've ever had that problem. I'm usually more conservative then most people when working with delicate issues like this. It's either fixable and I fix it, or it's not and I fix it anyways until I can get it replaced. It just takes alot of time for me to do things I'm not comfortable with... researching and everything.