External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Blue light special

Old 05-20-2001, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue light special

I put blue light bulbs in my turn signals and the 194's below them two weekends ago. They look goods. I've had several police look my way but no pull overs yet.. Just wondering if anyones been pulled over for turn signals other than the yellow ones?

M1K3
Old 05-20-2001, 06:25 PM

Yup, pulled over couple of times cause of my lights. first had blue turn signals, got a ticket. changed to hyper white still got pulled over (same asshole cop) didnt do nothing after a bit of argueing that they were clear (clear and amber is ok in CA) and pulled me over for my hyper white headlights (once again, same shciesty ass cop) and last night got pulled over for underbody neon kit. (never guess, thats right, same silly bastard as before) which brings me to a question. does any1 know if neon kits are illegal in CA??? had one CHP said they were ok, then had robocock say they were illegal. any1 know how i could find out and get some written proof??? this was all from a prick small town/county sheriff though. bigger cities cops actually have important stuff to do rather than crack down on all the blue light users.

So i think u sould just keep them until told otherwise, and hopefully u will just get a warning first time instead of a ticket like me. *cough* bull**** *cough*
Old 05-20-2001, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Clownboy-

Check with Ammoman, That dude has all the laws, rules and regs with him, and knows 99% of them off the top of his head. He runs RED lights up front...and it's LEGAL in cali. When he get's pulled over, he just quotes the law, and shows it to them.

From what I understand, NEON kits are legal, but not for "highway" use. In otherwords, you can have them on your car, but you can't drive with them on. Something about "no light on the car being mounted lower than xx inches from the ground" or something like that.
Old 05-20-2001, 11:03 PM

I know for a fact that Illinois you can't have any colored light shine on the ground...therefore neon is absolutely worthless unless you just use it for shows. Well, this morning on my way to work I turned left at a light and there was an officer in front of me turning right. He saw the blinker because I had to sit there for a minute. He ended up right behind me but didn't do anything...his town is also notorious with pulling people over. Funny thing is that I also had my limo tinted windows up because it was raining. *shrug*
Old 05-21-2001, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Basically, if it's not OEM or DOT approved, you can probably guess that it's illegal somehow. It's more or less up to the police officer's discretion if they want to pull you over for something like tint or custom lights or whatever. One cop may say yeah it's fine, because it doesn't bother him, but then again you might have another officer that's 100% straight by the book and he'll write you a ticket for having a bug on your windshield (blocked vision) *ha ha* So always use that as a rule of thumb when you install something that's "questionable." Also, figure out if you do get pulled over and cited for it, do you want to just pay the fine or take the illegal item off.
Just my 2 cents.... L8TR....
Old 05-21-2001, 02:28 AM

Yeah...I knew they were illegal when I put them in, same as for my tint. If I do get nabbed, I've got the original bulbs in the car and I'll try for the "was just going to change them" line. Thanks for the comments. I was just trying to find out the per capita stats for people getting pulled over with them.

M1K3
Old 05-21-2001, 02:50 AM

YES, I HAVE BEEN PULLED OVER SEVERAL TIMES IN SUNNYVALE CALIFORNIA AND FREMONT, CA BECAUSE I HAVE EXTRA FOG LAMPS ON MY TIBBY BECAUSE THE STOCK FOG LAMPS ARE NOT BRIGHT AT ALL, I INSTALLED THE OVAL YELLOW FOG LAMPS AND THEN CHANGED THE LIGHT BULB TO THOSE COOL BLUE LIGHTS AND THEY STOPPED ME BECAUSE CALIFORNIA LAW STATES THAT YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 4 RUNNING LIGHTS ON, I JUST MOVED IN TO THIS STATE AND I HATE IT, IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY LITTLE MOD YOU DO IS ILLEGAL IN THIS STATE, I HAVE THE CLEAR TAIL LIGHTS INSTALLED YESTERDAY, IT DID TURN SOME HEADS BUT I HOPE I DON'T GET STOPPED AGAIN, ALSO GOT PULLED OVER JUST WHEN I CROSSED THE ARIZONA CALIFORNIA BORDER ON INTERSTATE 10 FOR THE SAME REASON, BUT I AM STILL GOING TO TINT THE WINDOWS IT IS ILLEGAL TO TINT THE FRONT SIDES OF YOUR CAR IN CALIFORNIA. I SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN GERMANY! tongue.gif
Old 05-21-2001, 03:04 AM

Alright, Cervantez...please stop yelling. I can hear you just fine with your CAPS LOCK turned off. Thank you.

M1K3
Old 05-21-2001, 03:48 AM

Look up your local municipal code on the web. You'll find all sorts of loopholes.