External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Bad Chipping On Black Paint

Old 05-15-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have spots, kind of blotches on my hood and some on the upper portion of the quarterpanels. it looks ok from far, but up close it looks like bird guano., i've heard using a heat gun can help this some. i also heard my paint is forever f*(&ed. anyone know what i'm talking about, i'll try and take a pic or two later in the week after my trip if it'll help.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Probably f0x0red for life if the paint is actually chipped. If its like tarry or actually is bird guano, tar and grit remover could possible take it off.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if its chipped, you fvcked. if there are spider veins caused by leaving bird poo on to long, you might be able to buff it out with a polishing compound.

who the hell told you to use a heat gun?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (tibby01 @ May 15 2005, 11:24 PM)
who the hell told you to use a heat gun?

Was thinking the same thing. Good thing he asked us before he went out and tried it... lol.gif
Old 05-15-2005, 09:14 PM

I don't know about the blotches, but why don't you try to use touchup paint on the smaller chips? I use it and it's helped me out quite a bit.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm forever getting paint chips on my bodykit. I just keep after them with some touch-up paint. Sucks having a black car, the chips show up 10x more than lighter coloured cars. :angry:
Old 05-16-2005, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

before you do anything, give your car a GOOD wash (high pressure wash, scrub it down good by hand also), rub with some of that scratchX / some polishing stuff, see what comes out.

if nothing comes out, then your paint is probably chipped..get some touch up stuff.
my body kit is also torn to hell with chips and scrapes, and so is the hood/front bumper (is that the place your talking about? damn bugs/small pebbles 02.gif)
Old 05-17-2005, 09:39 AM

good advice, as soon as i get back i'll have to try some touch up. and its on the hood area and quarter panels. it isn't in just one place, but there surprisingly isn't much at all on the bumper area. gotta love black cars, so sexy, so hard to keep clean laugh.gif
Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 AM

Washing a car with a pressure washer is NOT GOOD. It creates swirls, marring and micro-scratches. A standard garden hose does the job perfectly. No need for a water pistol, I simply use me thumb to give a little pressure when it's really needed.

One of the most important thing to do when washing your car is to use the "2 buckets system"; that is, one bucket plain water, and one bucket soapy water. You put your sheepskin washmit in the soapy water (I use nothing else; they're ~5$ anyway. Absolutely NO old t-shirts or sponge!!), wash a panel on the car, then clean the mitt by putting it in the clean water and scrubbing a little. By using this technique, you ensure your washing your car with clean sopay water. When you're finished, the plain water bucket will be dirty, and the soapy water will still be clean.

Use a good soap, and ideally a drying microfiber to dry the car.

For your chips, if they ARE paint chips, you can try touching them up if they're tiny (wouldn't try with really big chips); go to your dealer, and aslk for a touchup pen. Normally, one side is paint, the other side is clearcoat.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:25 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

That's what I've been using is the touch-up pen from the dealer. It seems to work well. Yes one side is colour and the other is clear.