Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   External Appearance (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/external-appearance-13/)
-   -   Ath Lip Install...err...i'm Stuck (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/external-appearance-13/ath-lip-install-err-im-stuck-39971/)

OzFxCoupe 12-05-2006 08:15 PM

^ The sides & rear of that particular ATH lip kit are hideous mate! Well the side add-ons are perhaps OK but the rear lip = eeeewwww.

Screwdriver 12-06-2006 08:46 AM

Personally, the only front I like better is the Type R Front. But that would cost me much more $ plus the effort of painting.

I actually like the gap in between the lip and the bumper. I already have the Type R skirts and I don't want anything on the rear.

Any ideas which grade of double sided tape to get? Would an Auto Parts store have it?

SOCKS_old 12-06-2006 11:47 AM

autoparts store would have the stuff that you need. its 3m foam doublesided tape.. that stuff is holding on my tail light covers, and they have been through the seasons, and they are still attached just as good.. i would use AS MUCH tape as possible, but i would use bolts for extra reassurance.

and the type R bumpers are only 220$ right now.. but then paint so that sucks. lol

Screwdriver 12-06-2006 04:10 PM

Thanks mang.

I'd take you up on your offer but it's too small a project to trouble you for. Maybe for something bigger wink1.gif

P.S. Your pics really helped for the insurance claim.

DTN 12-06-2006 04:33 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 6 2006, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Personally, the only front I like better is the Type R Front. But that would cost me much more $ plus the effort of painting.

I actually like the gap in between the lip and the bumper. I already have the Type R skirts and I don't want anything on the rear.

Any ideas which grade of double sided tape to get? Would an Auto Parts store have it?</div>

Even better then that 3m foam tape would be mounting tape. the 3M foam is alright. Mounting tape actually forms and keeps shape. Mounting tape can be found at any body shop or autoparts store. it's the stuff they use to mount those pieces of plastic on the doors outside the windows of trucks.. You know, the wind/rain blocker things. It's the best stuff to use because it's not only adhesive, but it's kind of like bondo or sound dampenign material in that you can mold it to the shape you need just by pressing on it. It usually comes in a roll, it's black in color with colored plastic on one side you peal off.

The best way i've found to use mounting tape is to clean both surfaces with alcohol, heat mounting tape with a lighter and then apply mounting tape and then from there you can remove the protective plastic from the tape, heat up the adhesive lightly with a lighter, then stick it. It forms to minor bends and shapes better when heated and it makes the sticky stuff stick better.

Don't get the foam stuff.

SOCKS_old 12-06-2006 05:23 PM

aviv, it wouldnt be any trouble to me, im just letting ya know.. yah, just let me know ANYTIME you need help with something, if you wanna bring car out here for a weekend or something, or when i get a job i can come out there to help..

did you end up getting a new radio? or just $$$ for one.

o no shit, lol DTN, i was thinking about the mounting tape, not the foam stuff.. i think 3m makes mounting tape too tho.

yah, aviv def get mounting tape, thats whats holding on my taillights, and its AWESOME..

Screwdriver 12-07-2006 05:09 PM

Thanks man. I really appreciate it. fing02.gif