External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Ath Lip Install...err...i'm Stuck

Old 12-04-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After months of waiting, I finally got Odessit's ATH Front lip.

As luck would have it, it's black and that means I don't have to paint it. Here's the problem...

It's just a piece of Fiberglass. I mean, there are no screwholes. I don't want to put a lip up with double sided tape either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to install one of these. I could use a resin to mould it on, but I'm looking for the best way to augment the bumper with it.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

You need to drill screw-holes into it. Most aftermarket FG parts come like that.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

your suppose to screw in the sides where ur fender wells are. like the bottom of the front bumper.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i think screws on the bottom of the bumper. trust me, you don't want to lose it on the road. i've had that happen way too many times. one time i thought i tied my CAI with electric wire just to drive to the store. during the trip the cai fell and i ran it over. poor thing. it became roadkill including the filter. sorry tibbychick sad.gif .
Old 12-04-2006, 08:33 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ that's passion right there. Excelent advice. Don't trust mounting tape. Tried that with a Shark Racing spoiler. That's the way the MFG recommended it be installed. It didn't hold. It became a casualty of mexicans at the carwash durring the day the rest were all on strike.

... poor thing died a clean death.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:37 PM

Wow...Lots of horror stories from tape.

I will use tape. And as long as it is ok to drill fiberglass, I'll drill holes and line it up with the screws under the bumper. Hopefully, that'll be enough.

Thanks guys. .Can't wait for it to get warmer.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

fiberglass the ATH lip in there. believe it or not screwdriver, that very same ATH lip has been in my very hands when me and OP showed it to my guy to mold. but shortly after OP sold his tiburon. i know for a fact the edges won't completely tuck into the sides, otherwise it would be the original F2 lip from the U.K.

fiberglass it into your bumper. fiberglassing isn't that hard and it pays off. google on how to fiberglass on cars. it'll look bomb. you can screw into fiberglass and it's easy because when you drill it's like a powder. but be careful, fiberglass can crack very easily as a result. you hit something, your screwhole cracks. make sure to reinforce it with some rubber grommets or somekind of impact absorbing rubber that will fit in between the holes.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

clean both surfaces on the bumper and lip with a solvent. let them dry really good. get some HIGH QUALITY (3m makes good products) double sided foam tape and cover the entire contact surface. i would put it on the lip just because it would be easier to apply with the thing in your hand.

affix the lip. get a floor jack, a short 2x4, and some rags and use the floor jack to apply pressure in sections with the wood wrapped in rags. let it get some good pressure for a good 10 minutes or so before going to another portion of the lip.

it should hold fine with just double stick tape.

if you really want you can get some of those weird ass plastic screw things that we rd2s have and use those to provide a little extra hold, but the tape should be plenty sufficient.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

the entire cobalt SS bodykit is held on with double sided tape from the factory. im sure they wouldnt do that if it wasnt safe.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Banned

i would use screws, you wont have to worry about anything with it falling off.. i dont know what the bottom of the lip looks like, but i used toggle bolts for my lip and they hold alot more surface area on the top side.. better and easier than nuts for this application i think..

i think something like this application should work for your lip. all you gotta do is line up the lip, put a mark on the bottom of the bumper in magic marker or a lil punch (you can use something sharp) and drill a small hole (big enough to slide the screw through) and put the toggle nut on the other side and just spin it on, then use a flathead and get it snugged up. smile.gif perdy easy, and itll hold good..

but it would be a good idea, if you think you are going to be scraping, to throw a lil rubber grommet in there.