Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Yet Another 5-speed Swap.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

so heres the low down...Im beginning to collect everything i will need to complete the auto to 5-speed swap. I know it has been covered like 1,000,000 times but i still want this to be reviewed and made a complete collection. Ive found a not so definite list of parts and the actual DIY threads. links: list , DIY.

currently i have established some of the parts needed and already ordered them. they are as follows: shifter, linkage, clutch pedal, clutch slave cylinder.
I also know i will need a transmission, clutch, and flywheel. but that is another discussion i would like to have with the RD community. options being Beta I 00-01 tib tranny, Beta II elantra tranny, or Beta II tib tranny info. i want input on the difficulties and diferences in the swap. I already know the mount needs ground to fit but i need to know starter and flywheel info as well. I seen the starter location is slightly different from beta I to II info.

any help or suggestions welcome.

new info Beta 2 tranny optimo's , extremly helpfull! , Landshark's
spell check complete

also will a mod close the other thread i somehow made two.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

lmao, n0ob, wrong button

so heres the low down...Im begining to collect everything i will need to complete the auto to 5-speed swap. I know it has been covered like 1,000,000 times but i still want this to be reviewed and made a complete collection. ive found a not so definite list of parts and the actual DIY threads. links: list , DIY.

currently i have esablished some of the parts needed and already ordered them. they are as follows: shifter, linkage, clutch pedal, clutch slave cylender.
I also know i will need a transmission, clutch, and flywheel. but that is another discussion i would like to have with the RD comunity. options being Beta I 00-01 tib tranny, Beta II elantra tranny, or Beta II tib tranny info. i want input on the difficulties and differences in the swap. i already know the mount needs grinded to fit but i need to know starter and flywheel info as well since i seen the starter location is slightly diferent from beta I to II info.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 PM

does any one know if i need to get a manual starter for the beta I or II trannies? also can i use a beta I clutch and flywheel on beta II?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The starters were different on my B1
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM

can anyone help me out here? as you can see ive searched the f*** out of this site. i need to know whats different on the starters and clutches on Beta I and Beta II tranies. i need to know if tranny mounts and starters on autos and standards are the same. can I use a Beat I clutch and flywheel setup on a beta II tranny?

im going to use 00+ Tiburon parts. maybe Beta 2 Elantra tranny if i get a great deal(not likely).

I really need some help on this guys. ill take pics of my clutch in my auto car as soon as i find my camera. the swap officially started today @5pm. and so far ive got the clutch and slave cylinder installed .
Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Have fun.

The mounts, you only need to change the driver's side mount if you want the bracket for the clutch slave cylinder hose to be correct. The A/T driver's side mount is reinforced for the frikken heavy automatic. The manual mount has a clip to hold the clutch hose. I'd hate to have that hose worn through, so I changed the mount.

I want to say the clutches are the same, and pressure plates. Flywheels should be too, after 07/99 engine manufacture date

Starters have a different amount of engagement in the ring gear, IIRC the auto starter won't reach far enough into the bellhousing to turn the flywheel.

Now is a good time to fill the front/rear roll stops with silicone rubber to reduce engine rocking.

You've done your homework. If you still have a question, ask away.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

It should be noted however that your parts list link is a dead thread asking the same thing, lol
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 AM

alright, all ive got to get is a tranny and starter. this maybe swaped before summer. another $300 and it will be a go! for now ill use the auto tranny mount. ill be changing more stuff out after its in and working. looks like ill be getting a 03 Elantra tranny because its like $200 cheaper.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Beta 2 trans needs beta 2 starter. The clutch and flywheel should be the same. You will also need the starter plate I think for the Beta 2 trans.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

That would be the thin piece of metal between the bellhousing and the engine, the holes are cut differently IIRC. Come to think of it, I don't remember if the driver's side mount would bolt up. It's close but I stupidly didn't make a direct comparison, sorry.