Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Xtd Stage 3 Clutch Kit

Old 11-06-2008, 05:00 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i received my "XTD® STAGE 3 RACING CLUTCH - TIBURON / ELANTRA 4CYL" today via UPS from AimCo clutch in California through e-bay.

I origonally had assumed that the clutch, like the flywheel, would have been SFI 1.5 certified. I did not see the sticker on the clutch when I opened the box. I called SFI Corperation to verify and found that they do not have anything on record for this particular clutch and gave me the number to AutoCom, Inc. (323-838-1200), the origonal manufacturer of XTD products. When I contacted Autocom/XTD, they told me that there was no certification on record for the clutch, but they e-mailed me the results from their flywheel. Which I will add to the flywheel thread.

Here are some pictures of the product as received..

This picture shows the only marking aside from XTD I could find. it says 812.

Overall, I'm not disappointed, but I'm unimpressed with the clutch kit. They could have painted it better. It also does not carry a SFI 1.5 certification. All of the reviews I've heard have been happy reviews so I do not expect any problems. I was much more impressed with the XTD prolite flywheel click here for link.

The XTD Stage 3 clutch kit is a ceramic 6 puc clutch. It's been reviewed by our members to hold 230 WHP without being properly broken in, and the pressure plate is more springy then stock. XTD claims their pressure plate spring applies 60% more pressure over stock due to the upgraded materials from which it is constructed. I'm wondering if it's simply heated and bent like most, or if that 812 marking actually designates a different clamping force. Anyone got a stock pressure plate around?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldnt this have went in the clutch review thread or something? I mean damn, theres like 5 threads about this clutch now. Just wondering?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:24 PM
DTN

No, this is the only one which involves this clutch. There is an XTD ProLite flywheel thread which I started. There is a couple of "should I buy this XTD clutch" threads, but none where anyone posted pictures about it nor asked about it. This is the only out of the box thread about XTD's clutch.

The XTD Prolite flywheel is pretty badass IMO. I'm hoping to either confirm or stomp the living shit out of the XDT claims about their pressure plate being made from a different material.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend bought the same clutch kit, about 1 month ago, for his 240sx and he hasn't had any problems with it... smile.gif
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I've got a stock pressure plate, why?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 PM
DTN

Can you read the numbers on the pressure plate springs? I want to know if it has an imprint and what that imprint is.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'll go look...

The inside has Valeo and PHC stamped in the leaves, as well as Valeo in the center ring

The outside has either VFH or YFH, and DFH stamped in the leaves. It also has Valeo and PHC stamped around the frame, and has HDC-37 Made In Korea etched/screened on the frame.

No numbers.

And I think it was made by Valeo.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 AM
DTN

Well, then I guess this confirms that this is not just a stock pressure plate. It may be made by Valeo, or it could be an excellent replica, but none of the stock markings appear on it.