Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Xtd Flywheel

Old 10-21-2008, 04:53 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I received my "XTD® PROLITE FLYWHEEL-2000-2004 TIBURON / ELANTRA 2.0L" yesterday from AimCo Clutch in California. They are an e-bay seller with a hard store front. When I received the item, i noticed the picture was different then the item in the auction. The Auction Item had drill holes through it and the Flywheel I received did not. So I contacted AimCo clutch and received this response in less then a day.

hello.
the picture on ebay is just sample picture of XTD flywheel.
that's just drilled holes for reduced weight but your flywheel has been cut backside of flywheel.
please check the backside of flywheel,there's big shave on center.
your XTD flywheel is SFI racing certified and made of chrome moly which is most strong material in clutch and flywheel market.
Regards,
jim

I checked the back of the flywheel. It does have a large groove in the back where the material was removed. I weighed the flywheel and it weighs just 9.5 lbs. It came lubricated with a machine lubrication of some sort evenly spread across the machined finish and painted surfaces to prevent corrosion. This will have to be removed before the flywheel is installed.

The starter ring is part of the flywheel. It would appear that it was part of the mold when it was poured. I was worried about that initially when I'd seen problems like when CoalForge's Starter ring on his aftermarket aluminum flywheel fell off.

Here's some pictures of the product as received.

I've got a couple of questions. It has an adapter/spacer ring of some sort included. Is this a spacer or what? It came with a pretty generic installation guide which was intended to be thrown away at the first available chance and it has no mention of the ring.

I would also like to know what the SFI 1.5 means. I was able to find some information online http://nitrousforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10162 . This means nothing to me though. It surely must have some numbers which go with it. Apparently the certification is only good for a year and then it has to be sent back to SFI for testing. What is this SFI testing process and what is the qualifications to meet 1.5?

Note: the flywheel came with no finger prints on it. I've had my grubby hands all over it.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had to guess that ring is to make it fit the other size crank, whatever one that is. I never understood that fully I dont think.

And a note also, you arent supposed to clean a flywheel with brakleen. Use soapy water instead.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 PM
DTN

I was going to take it for a swim in the parts cleaner tank. Will that petrolium based parts cleaner found in shops be ok for this?

So this adapter ring is for different years of Tiburons? Ok. I hope I don't need it because from what I remember of my adapter plate, I think it would go on either way, raised portion towards the engine or raised portion towards the flywheel. I should send an e-mail to the company and ask
Old 10-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Parts cleaner should be fine. As long as it doesnt leave any residue or film.

I think that spacer has to do with the whole 41/45mm crank thing or whatever it is. Not positive though as the only flywheel I ever bought fit without anything.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:14 PM
DTN

Thanks Eric. I sent a message to the seller to ask about the ring.

Now just to satisfy my curiosity, I'd like to know what that SFI 1.5 certification process is.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned

SFI certified is prob some bogus chinese thing.. lmao.gif

my flywheel didnt come with a plate like that, but i had the same flywheel, from same place i believe..

yep.. same.. i dont have pictures of just wheel, but heres the disc on my flywheel

although, mine WAS drilled

Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM
DTN

I can see the SFI 1.5 certification sticker on your clutch as well. Here's the SFI FAQ link from the SFI Foundation site http://www.sfifoundation.com/ It was established by SEMA.

here's a list of names of sanctioning bodies I found on their website
ADRL American Drag Racing League U.S. AHDRA All Harley Drag Racing Association U.S. AMA American Motorcyclist Association U.S. ANDRA Australian National Drag Racing Association Australia APBA American Power Boat Association U.S. ARCA Automobile Racing Club of America U.S. AX Arenacross U.S. BMW CCA BMW Car Club of America U.S. CAMS Confederation of Australian Motor Sport Australia CORR Championship Off Road Racing U.S. DHRA Diesel Hot Rod Association U.S. ECTA East Coast Timing Association U.S. eXplosion Drag Racing Verniging eXplosion Netherlands FFW Fun Ford Weekend U.S. FIA Federation Internationale de I'Automobile France FHRA Finnish Hot Rod Association Finland FMX Freestyle Motorcross U.S. GARRA Grand American Road Racing Association U.S. Goodguys/VRA Vintage Racing Associates U.S. IHBA International Hot Boat Association U.S. IHRA International Hot Rod Association U.S. IKF International Kart Federation U.S. IMCA International Motor Contest Association U.S. IRL Indy Racing League U.S. ITPA Illinois Tractor Pulling Association U.S. MSNZ Motorsport New Zealand New Zealand MTRA Monster Truck Racing Association U.S. NADM National Association of Diesel Motorsports U.S. NASA National Auto Sport Association U.S. NASCAR National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing U.S. NASR National Association of Speedway Racing Australia NDRA National Dirt Racers Association Australia NBF Norwegian Automobile Sport Federation Norway NHRA National Hot Rod Association U.S. NHRA Supplemental Series NHRA Supplemental Series U.S. NMCA National Muscle Car Association U.S. NMRA National Mustang Racers Association U.S. NMRO National Mud Racing Organization U.S. NTPA National Tractor Pullers Association U.S. NZDRA New Zealand Drag Racing Association New Zealand ONA Outlaw Nitro Alliance U.S. OTTPA Outlaw Truck and Tractor Pulling Association U.S. PCA Porsche Club of America U.S. PPL Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League U.S. RaceLegal.com RaceLegal.com U.S. Rally America Rally America U.S. SAE CDS SAE Collegiate Design Series Intl. SASF/SBF Swedish Automobile Sport Federation Dragracing Committee Sweden SCCA Sports Car Club of America U.S. SCTA Southern California Timing Association U.S. SDBA Southern Drag Boat Association U.S. SDR Svensk Drag Racing Sweden SLDBA St. Louis Drag Boat Association U.S. SNZ Speedway New Zealand New Zealand SPRC Santa Pod Racers Club England STTCS ShortTrackTrucks.com Challenge Series U.S. SX Supercross U.S. USAC United States Auto Club U.S. USHRA U.S. Hot Rod Association U.S. USPA U.S. Pullers Association U.S. WKA World Karting Association U.S.

There's some pretty respectable names on there. I guess SFI must mean quality parts.

What type of clutch is that?

I was hoping for drilling as it increases the surface area. Maybe they had a problem with drilling in the past?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

its the XTD clutch from the same place you got yours.. same box and everything.. it had XTD sticker on it.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

So it's a SPEC clutch with a XTD sticker on it eh?

That dark ass blurry image, looks like a SPEC sticker on it to me.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:23 PM
DTN

No, that's a SFI Foundation 1.5 certified sticker. It has a serial number of some sort. I took that picture to find out more about what it is, but I guess it came out too blury. You said the same thing about spec flywheel in the Shout Box. I can't find a non-aluminum spec Flywheel. They're all aluminum. This one is chrome - moly. I don't know what's better but I followed the advice of members and did not get the aluminum flywheel I was going to get.