Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Wrench & Screwdriver

Old 01-14-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrench & Screwdriver

Is there anything at all that i can do under the hood of my 98 tiburon
that doesent cost money
and only involves a little tweeking(WRENCH & SCREWDRIVER)
that may give me a slight performance increase

anything at all there has to be something ???
Old 01-14-2005, 09:58 AM

I do not know if it will give you a performance increase, but it will make the car sound better.

REDZ DIY on the intake resonator Removal. It is just a matter of removing MOST of the black plastic Convolutions between the outside air and the airfilter. As the very least, it cleans up the underhood area quite a bit.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:09 AM

You could also do the throttle body coolant bypas mod.

To do this you need to take off one of the coolant lines going to the throttle body. Next, connect the other line back to where the other line was attached. This will stop the coolant from heating up you throttle body, keeping it nice and chilly.

To do this you need no parts and only a pair of pliers.

Do a search if you need more info on it.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:12 AM

I forgot about that one... that is another good mod if it is warm out. I do not suggest doing it right now if the area of the country you live in is prone to freezing weather.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Look in the DIY section, I've got several things posted you can do.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:44 PM

Well mad macine i already havre
an AEM cold air so i cant do that right ??
Old 01-14-2005, 01:24 PM

right....................
Old 01-14-2005, 01:28 PM

pretty much... you are gonna have to spend money to gain horsepower. fact is, to gain any real good horsepower you have to spend a lot of money with our cars. if ya dont kno much about cars... play around a little in the engine compartment, read books... but dont get to tweaking with stuff too much or ya might make her blow up. you will learn a lot from these guys... trust me. i was a total dumbass when it came to cars before i became a member here... now i can do a lot of things that i never could have before... these guys are smart (well... most of em, except redz... he is a dumbass!) if you have any questions at all, even if they are pretty stupid questions... dont be afraid to ask. its better to ask and get shat on than to have not asked at all. haha
Old 01-14-2005, 01:55 PM

QUOTE (cdogtibby1)
its better to ask and get shat on than to have not asked at all. haha

I just know this is going to be somebody's signiture line sometime soon.
Seriously though, there are a number of mods you can do that will not cost you too much money. You already have the AEM intake.. so, how about exhaust? A few hundred will get you a nice header and a cat back... after that You need to start looking inwards some. The 1.8 litre intake cam is only a little over a hundred bucks and is an easy install with only a few sockets and a torque wrench needed.

And there is one mod everybody overlooks.. the tuneup. If the car is operating exactly how it was designed, you can build from there.. but worn out plugs, misfiring wires, bad O2 sensors, clogged air filters, and dirty oil all conspire to ruin your engine and destroy power.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
And there is one mod everybody overlooks.. the tuneup. If the car is operating exactly how it was designed, you can build from there.. but worn out plugs, misfiring wires, bad O2 sensors, clogged air filters, and dirty oil all conspire to ruin your engine and destroy power.

Best advice anyone can give. On RD1s and RD2s especially, chances are you are not the first owner of the car. Chances are the owner before you didn't do the maintenence when it was required... 80% of people don't, even tuners. Whenever you buy a car with any mileage on it, I always replace plugs/wires, oil change and filter, fuel filter, air filter, etc. and get rid of any CELs that might be there. Even before I buy the car I check the compression, see if its been repaired, etc. Personally I think its one of the reasons we see low dynos...