Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

winter project

Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99/ Hyundai /accent
Default winter project

Hey h/a im getting ready to start my winter project soon and was looking for a little guidance along the way.

my plan: beta 2 block with beta 1 head turboed for summer

so far i have the motor and everything i need ex the compleat kit, but my main focus is to have a fresh and reliable motor.

i been looking into getting the motor rebuild but i would like to honestly do it my self and learn.

i was woundering if anyone has rebuilt they're motors and would like to kinda guide me trough the process kinda with oem specs and what not.

i would like to have confidence in my motor this year and would like to have it under my belt that i understand and did rebuild the motor my self.

idk if anyone would be ok with shareing site where they ordered they're kit?

and i would like to know how to cheak/inspect if the block or head has been warped? but wouldnt know what that looks like so yeah this is kinda where im at with everything. I appreciate any advice or help thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Are you planning on upgrading anything(rods,pistons,cams etc.? Or just rebuilding with stock internals? New/reusing old parts?

Obviously disassembling the whole thing is first. After you get it broke down, bring it to a machine shop and get the block cleaned and hot tanked, hone the cylinders if your using stock pistons (you can do this yourself) bore/hone the cylinders if your going with over sized pistons. Regrind the valve seats and get the valves lapped(if your reusing).

Your going to deck(level) the head and block mating surfaces anyways so don't worry if it's warped. To check you literally just put a true straight edge across the surface and check for gaps. If you know for a fact the the motor was over heated at one point get the head magnafluxed at the machine shop to check for cracks. I would recommend getting it done either way

Make sure when your taking everything apart to mark where all the rod/crank/cam caps go and put them back in the orginal location with new bearings(make sure the oil passages line up) I normally use a punch with numbers. A sharpie will work, just don't wash it off.

Assembly lube on all the bearings/cylinder walls/cam lobes and I always used new head bolts when rebuilding but some reuse old ones. Follow all torque/yield specs.

This is just generic info, based on what your goals are extra steps are needed. There is a lot of self explanatory stuff I'm leaving out too.

And buy your kit from turbosocks very knowledgable guy
Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 AM

I want everything to go oem just a stock motor.

im still in high school so things are pretty tight with money.

but I'd like to be confident in my motor that about it.

plans for boost is probably 12-16 psi? something like that

idk they're just ideas I've been coming up with.

and honestly im not sure if the motor even needs a rebuild im just worried mostly

about the warp of the block or head. so if there was a way I could cheak that

that would be great.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Well with the motor together you could do a leak down test on all the cylinders to see if there's any loss of pressure, but that could be attributed to a number of things with only one of them really, being a warped head.

if the head was warped it would cause the head gasket to leak and you would have coolant in oil or vise versa or be burning coolant and/or oil. And the motor would more than likely run like dog doo. And I'm only saying warped "head". Because the block is cast iron and stronger than the aluminum head. The head will heat up and deform/crack first.

Literally the guys at the machine shop will take a straight edge and put it across the surfaces and check for gaps. Thers no real science to it. And like I said you will level both the head and the block before reassembly anyways to give the head gasket a fresh surface to mate to.

I think your worrying too much about this step.

And 12-16psi means nothing useless you let us know what turbo your going to use. With stock internals and stock compression I would stay closer to 8-12psi on a 60trim with a GOOD tune, especially if the cars a dd
Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^.60 is pretty big for some people though. What kind of power do you want? Do you want always-stroger including almost off-idle, with maybe a little less pull at high engine speed? Do you want to have gobs of power when you punch it but less of a beast at low speed?

Turbocharging successfully, so you only buy one of everything involves lots of planning. It is common to not know exactly what to buy, and end up replacing all your power adders and engine management repeatedly until you end up with what you want. This is how $2000 builds end up at $8000 over several years.

You seem to be off to a good start, asking questions before you are in over your head and over budget. Now is the time to educate yourself, and the information is only a few hundred hours of reading away. If you really want to know what to do, read. Read Maximum Boost, spend a few weeks reading old threads here. Read articles in the archives at Hot Rod Magazine even. Then ask the few smart questions you still may have.

The membership at hyundaiaftermarket is happy to help, including me with this post. I'm not trying to be patronizing, just calling it like I see it.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:24 AM

Hey I appropriate all the help and replays on this.

My plan is to have a turbo that will hold up, the car is not a dd anymore I bought two x3s and this will be a track/experiment/streetcar. So motor wyse I think I'm just going to replace basic components. Water pump, head gasket and bolts, timing belt ex...

Then I my questions are. What's a good turbo for a kid like me, im still in high school i work but money isn't the best. I have a good basic understanding of how turbo charging works. Beside oil feed lines and vacuum I didn't really catch on to those things. But the car will definitely be divin hard by me. And I've been looking at a few shops in the area. So stand alone fuel managements are still in the air I need ti find a tunner I can trust and what he prefers to tune with. But I do see this build being realistic by 2014 spring/summer.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM

I would like to try and gather information on how to tune the car my self and what program would be best for me not having a lot of money. (Need spoon feeding) lol I've looked a few places and I'm not really understanding