Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Widebands on NA car

Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Accent
Default Widebands on NA car

Is it worth it to install a wideband gauge/sensor on an NA car? I have a regular A/F gauge that isnt hooked up yet but everyone seems to say the A/F gauges are worthless and to just get a wideband. But everything Ive read on here shows people who have the widebands are also boosted. I dont plan to ever go turbo. MAYBE a small shot of nitrous but thats a big maybe.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

If your N/A there really isnt a need for a wideband or any kind of A/F ratio gauge as it is going to be all over the places! Bouncing around like a game of leap frog or something, use turbo guys use a wideband as a tool to tune with, it isnt for looks it is something we have to keep an eye on...

Most guys that are N/A with a Afr get a cheap narrow band gauge from autozone and just tie it in to the stock sensor and it is pretty pointless...
Old 10-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

yes it is pointless on a N/A car., But I have been in a few N/A's with them(awaiting a turbo build)..Since i'm boosted, its pretty freaky to see the afr consistantly sit exactly 14.7 lol
Old 10-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

our mazda6 has a AEM wideband in it and it is N/A. prior owner was in the midst of doing a boost project when he decided to trade in. glad he did cause when i go boost nazi I will just take the wideband out of that car along with the boost gauge since it a prosport like the rest of my gauges and it is the same color to boot.

but on a N/A car yes it will bounce around like popcorn, this one does.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent

I'll agree that it's not totally necessary on an NA car but mine didn't bounce around. This is a log of one of the dyno runs I made last year on my car when it was NA and the wideband reading was very smooth.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Warp.. do you have a Narrow band, Im guessing yours is smoother cause your running a good WIDE BAND...
Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I just got my AEM wideband in the mail. It'll be N/A for at least the next several months. It'll be interesting too see how well my car is coping with my N/A mods.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2006 Kia Spectra5

I think a wide band would be good for any car when your tuning it. Hyundai engines run pig rich and leaning them out a little can give you some extra power. This is especially true if you have a few mods on it ... IHE for example, and don't for get the funny gas.