Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Wideband O2 Output Cable Vs Ecm

Old 10-15-2006, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright...I baught an Innovate Motorsports Wideband O2 sensor. Hooked it all up and it's working great, but I know it has a output cable for narrowband o2 sensor signalling. It comes with datalogging, software, and cables to hook up to a pc to put in your own numbers for air/fuel ratios for all rpm/load levels go out to the ecm. Our computers change afr depending on what it reads from the primary O2 sensor right? So, other than wot, my ecm would adjust the afr eventually to whatever I want right based on the fake info it's getting from the wideband? The ecm isn't going to get smart all of the sudden and realize it's being lied to...?

And I'm getting 14.5-15.1 soft throttle
14-14.4 half throttle
13.0-13.5 wide open
This seems pretty normal, but I'm curious as to what other rd's are getting (I have 4-2-1 headers, high-flow cat, 2.48" exaust, 62mm throttle body, airram intake manifold, iridium plugs, magnacore wires, and a home-brew 3" shorty intake system so I figured since I have no fuel controller and several mods my car might be a little different than stock for afr)
Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 AM

Well since no-one is going to respond I guess I'm just going to have to find out the hard way......It will probably take a week or two before I get the time to do it, but I'll put a follow-up on what happens.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

You cannot change your fuel trims with a wideband. Yes, you can hook it up to you computer, but all that will show is your #'s. It's not as easy as that.

If you want to change your fuel trims I suggest an smt6 as a piggy back or you can go to a full stand alone.

Ah, well your N/A. I thought you were boosted.

A simple SAFCII will work in your case than.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:06 AM

With this one it contains an output signal for narrow band simulation. In other words it reads the air/fuel ratio from the wideband sensor and based on the correction map I create on the pc software uploaded to the box will tell the computer whatever air/fuel ratio I want. I am going to have to cut two of the wires from the first o2 sensor and run it through the wideband box, but it is already designed for it so it will be easy.

And from what I understand our computers adjust the fuel trim to what it reads from the first oxygen sensor until wot then it just uses a preset map for fuel delivery. My computer's already doing it because when I downloaded the history of my air/fuel ratio I found a fun little problem I have. Because of all the upgrades I've done, my maf isn't reading the correct amount of air flowing through it so the afr is off and my computer is constantly adjusting to its own readings causing a roller coaster effect on my air/fuel ratio except of course wot.

O' and I was boosted for a month or so but the alpine kit's unichip didn't agree with my ecu. So i've got $2800 worth of parts waiting for a standalone, another new clutch (8,000 miles on a oem clutch plus one hard run on a highway equals one bad day), and some ultraleggeras with my name on it...