Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What Should I Do Next?

Old 09-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Okay, I have done a ton of mods over the last three months:

Eibach sway bars
SR cam gear
SR front, rear, and center bars (front not used yet cause of airram)
UR, Water, and PS pulleys
Ksport coilovers
65mm TB
Airram
PLX wideband w/datalogging
Window welded front and rear motor mounts
Removed evap-not really a big deal

What I am wondering is: Are there any more mods out there that I could do now and still use for my 20-25psi turbo setup? I think I am going to have to say fck it and get a standalone because tuning 20 psi with an smt6 would probably be impossible. I was lookning at the real-engineering ecu for the beta, but it doesnt say what year tiburon it works with, and the pic shows two harness connections. I am looking for engine performance mods that would co-exist with my turbo setup that I will be doing in the future. I was thinking of getting headers (Harwang the best out there?), because they are not too expensive, and with the 2.5" exhaust, high flow cat, and removed resonator along with the aem cai and 65mm tb w/airram, there would probably be a decent gain, as the stock header is really the only breathing restriction left. What do you guys think? I think I am out of performance mods for the engine that will work na and with the turbo setup. I am getting the phenolic spacers for the IM and TB when the GB goes through here. I don't want to get it dyno tuned with the safc until I do everything I can that will work with the turbo. Just let me know what your opinions are and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone. cool.gif
Old 09-11-2005, 08:49 PM

I would say you should look into a BBK, or maybe some racing seats, 4 point seat belts...something safety oriented...and with the BBK's you actually reduce some unsprung weight with certain kits.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:52 PM

How bout getting some light weight wheels (if you havn't done so already)?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

slicks.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Why headers? Just get a custom 2.5" exhaust. Come to think of it, if you want to run 20 psi you're looking for some real power, you will need a 3" exhaust.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:34 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

you will definitely need aftermarket clutch, and lightweighted flywheel with 20 psi boost.

I would be good investment fing02.gif
Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 AM

Well you could go anywer along the lines of enternalls or computer or then there is always the 50lbs NOS bottle you could stick in the hatch.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:02 PM

I already have a custom 2.5" exhaust, so that isn't an issue now, although 3" will definately be added before the turbo setup is completed. Sorry for the stupid question, but what are BBK's? Racing seats and lightweight wheels wouldn't be a bad idea (especially since I have giant 18's on it now). How much weight would I lose with the racing seats (not cheap ones, something like sparco or recaro). No offense to anyone, but I hate nitrous. I will never use it, just because of the fact that I don't want to have to fill up the bottle every week and drop 40-50 bucks, not to mention that if a cop finds that stuff hooked up... lets just say I would most likely be getting a ride home laugh.gif .

I was really thinking of some wheels though, like 17x8's with a 235/40/17 tire would be really nice I think. Would I rub? I might need 35 series tires with the 235 width though. My 18's don't rub now even with the car slammed so I think I will be alright. A nice black 17 would look sick with the dark green paint. I would get some street slicks when I go turbo though.

What kind of gain would I get with the headers? I figured I might get like 10hp (MAYBE), since I have every other supporting mod (except cams).

I do have a clutchmasters stage 1 clutch right now (which is incredible by the way), and I will probably do the CM stage 3 clutch with their lightweight flywheel and my lightweight crank pulley (would that setup cause the crank to break?) Just for the clutch and flywheel it is about $1100 though. I suppose I could do just the flywheel for now (could change it in manual trans class at school). What type of gain would that yeild? (5 hp tops probably, I would just rev faster).

I am totally into the weight reduction though, I will soon be taking out many things to hopefully lose 50-100lbs. Sorry for such a long post, and thanks for the replies. cool.gif
Old 09-12-2005, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

bbk=big brake kit

id get the header, its cheap, and does produce. definately look into a bbk too. they provide more stopping power, and reduce unsprung weight by using billet aluminum calipers and aluminum rotor hats.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:20 PM

AAAaahhhhh. I do have drilled/slotted rotors with kvr pads at the moment, and can stop from over 100mph with no fade (as long as I am not slamming them on hardcore). But I do need new calipers - the slider bolts are getting loose in the caliper slider bores, and after I stop hard sometimes, I hear a "clack" noise from the caliper as it moves back into position - not good. The kits from HP are super expensive, but look nice - I just dont think I want to drop more than $1500 in the entire brake setup. I also want to grab the spindles from a junkyard fx tibby and do rear discs. (could I rig up the front drilled/slotted rotors that I have now to work on the rear? That would be sick.

Okay, so I am damn near sure I want a header now (best next mod for the money-and I have just about $500 laying around - plus the stock flexpipe is shot), but which one should I get? I want to order one soon. I am definately not ordering from SR again, they suck - no obx either. So my options are hwarang and what else? I want the best darn header you can get, and the hwarang's from hp do look nice (definately 4-1). Do you think I will feel as big a gain as I felt after I put on the airram? (I doubt it). Are the collector and flexpipe larger than the stock ones with an aftermarket header? Thanks again guys. smile.gif

MMmmm, what about the ricer buzz associated with a header-back exhaust? Will it be worse than it is now? I have a high flow cat and no resonator so I would assume so. That is the only downfall of the header. What do your exhausts sound like? If you have header back exhausts that is. Thanks. cool.gif