Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What to do now??????

Old 06-24-2001, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do now??????

Ok I just recently bought the KORE cai. Along with that I have a cat back exhaust system (pacesetter),no catalitic converter, Nology hot wires, Bosch platinum 4's plugs, Unorthadox underdrive pulley. By the end of June beginig of July I will have the 4-2-1 headers and the Sharkracing throttle body but I am at a loss, Where do I go from here? Here are some of my ideas:
1) Supercharger
2) NOS (but not till I complete my constant performance gains)
3) Remaping or chip for the computer (I really want this one)
Well there they are help me out guys where do I go what do I do and where can I get the computer work done. Also is there any other cheap or free tricks you can do to add more hp (besides flames on the side lol) Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2001, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You don't mention port/head work.

I'm in the process of trying to talk Shark Racing into Carrying Ported and Polished heads on an exchange basis.

Main cheap gains will be found enlarging your intake ports and reshaping them...ditto for the exhaust ports. Then of course the 4-2-1 or 4-1 header and/or enlarging/reshaping the Intake manifold....

NOS is the Good cheap solution...but if you find yourself becoming addicted to the speed of squeeze...supercharger or turbo would bethe way to go.

BTW...NOLOGY specificly reccomend that you do NOT run their wires with anything other than RESISTOR plugs. (BERU or BEREU are the brand they sell). Non-Resistor plugs can cancele the "capactitive effect" of the NOLOGY wire.

Also..I personally reccomend ANY copper plug over ANY Platinum. The copper will give you more spark for the same amount of electricity.

Notice no one is making platinum conductor spark plug wires. Platinum is a crappy conductor compared to Copper.
Old 06-24-2001, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Random:
You don't mention port/head work.

I'm in the process of trying to talk Shark Racing into Carrying Ported and Polished heads on an exchange basis.

*drool* mmm...ported head. Come on Shark Racing!! Bring the power to the peeps. *continued in Requests forum*
Old 06-24-2001, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Random:

Exchange basis meaning you send him one and he sends you one?

How cost effective is that gonna be if you have to send it to Korea?
Old 06-25-2001, 12:16 AM

Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

Hootie has a good point, plus the WAIT time on this product would be dependant on how much more you're willing to shell out so Sam gets it quickly for him to send it, I think it'd be too risky for Sam to send his first before he gets 1 back, don't you think... I don't know man, sounds like a very expensive mission to go thru for the little HP some have proven to get from this mod... why not just do it here in the states and it'll be cheaper... Sorry just giving you my opinons on the matter... We've (KORE) has thought on doing similar jobs but when we think about it, we rather put the flow on finding a shop down here to do it for us, than to order stuff from KOREA and interchanging with them...

Why not have YAM, find a shop in the west and doing it from inside the states than going thru the US, sorta like what ONPOL does now... much cheaper, and we go thru SR still...

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: Bat Lord ]
Old 06-25-2001, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

The prices would START around $600. You would be billed closer to $1000, then get $400 back after your head is recieved. Since you don't send your head until after the new one is installed...there is no "down time" for your car.

The head work I am refering to, has shown gains of over 25 WHEEL HP in moderately tuned cars (Intake, BTB, BIM, CAM, Header, Exhaust, CHIP). There are more "mild" (cheaper and more simple) versions of head work that show lower gains...but why bother when the cost to ship the head is about the same....$600 is really the minimum Sam could offer these at and still make a profit. (if he can even make one at $600)

These would not be a "STOCK" item for Shark Racing. Sam would simply offer us the OPTION of him purchasing a Worked Head, and shiping it to the USA. It would have to be container shipped to keep costs down, so delivery ETA would be about a month. Shipping of YOUR head back to them would add about another $200 to the cost.

So starting low end would cost US around $800. But..if you want to go NA...it is the way to go. If you want KICK ASS turbo...they have heads for that too...
Old 06-25-2001, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

BTW...we left out lightened flywheel. If you go NA or Supercharger, one of those will help. Depending on the turbo setup...it can help or hurt...
Old 06-25-2001, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Bat Lord:
Why not have YAM, find a shop in the west and doing it from inside the states than going thru the US, sorta like what ONPOL does now... much cheaper, and we go thru SR still...

It's a matter of experience and expertise. Port polishing, angling, and combustion chamber work is one part science, one part ART. If you get it wrong, it is very easy to HURT the engine rather than help. Becuase our injectors are so close to the intake ports...it is/would be very easy to screw up the intake ports (air fuel mixture)....and kill your engines power.

The Koreans and HVE have experience doing this type of work. No one in the USA has this experience. And unless we want to send a mechanic from the USA to HVE or Korea...there's no way for them to learn execpt trial and error. And they are not going to "trial and error" on my engine.

I would rather spend $600 to $800 and know I got KICK ASS head/valve/port work...than spend $400 and get a half assed job.
Old 06-25-2001, 02:33 AM

Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

HOLY HONING BATMAN???

there's only one way to get that much freaking HP from that job to a tibby head, and that's by extrude hone process??? is that what you guys are offering??? If that's the case, it's awesome...
Old 06-25-2001, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

"Extrude hone" process would really only work on an intake manifold.

They really couldn't run their abraisive liquid through the intake/exhaust ports over the vavles..etc..etc..

I'm not 100% sure of what they are doing to the heads...but it LOOKS LIKE

Larger/polished/reshaped intake ports.
Larger/polished/reshaped intake valve openings
Larger/polished/reshaped Valves/new valves
Valve seats resurfaced/redone
Valve guides re-done
Combustion chamber polished/maybe reshaped
Larger/polished/reshaped exhaust ports.
Larger/polished/reshaped exhaust valves

port = the area of the head around, but not including, the valve openings that the exhaust/intake manifold connect to

The 'Full monty' head work (above) looks like it costs around $2000.

The head work I am talking about for $600 is just the port enlarging/reshaping and valve seat reshaping/angleing and valve guide polishing and valve polishing.