Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What Could It Be?

Old 08-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

No sooner than I celebrate passing 90,000 miles I find my Tib doesnt seem to be very well 02.gif

Last wednesday (state trooper annoyathon day) whilst out in the barrens I must admit I drove the absolute fook out of the tib, hitting speeds well over 100 and going around 25mph bends at well over 60.

The car performed astoundingly (apart from the fact that during a real screechy sliding corner greg's fat ass ripped both the front bolts out of the floor on the passenger seat lmao.gif ).

Anyways, on the way home I noticed it started to sputter a bit when pulling away.. the car is Auto and it doesnt seem to do it once Im moving.. it just seems to be accelling off the mark a bit rough.

Any ideas?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:57 PM

Oh goody now I have a check engine light 02.gif

Can the injectors be noisy? because when I opened the hood earlier to check all my fluids and stuff (which were fine) I can hear a noise that sounds like lifters.. only, it's not coming from the lifters it's coming from the metal thing that the throttle body bolts to.

This is where the injectors are housed I am assuming? and is it possible for them to go bad and become noisy?

It kinda sounds like a spark plug firing kinda clicky sound, real high pitched not at all like the sound of lifters.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0t

Just a thought, but as you were doing those high G turns you were starving the engine of oil (G force was throwing all the oil to one side of the engine). So you prob. have damage to your internals such as scored pistons/rings.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:35 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^^ The TB bolts onto the intake manifold. The fuel rail bolts onto that in between the plennum & the engine. The injectors are stuck into the fuel rail.

Check all the hoses & connections. Check the oil level. Check the spark plugs. Check the throttle cable tension. Maybe you need new fuel filter.

Sorry I can't help you more... Someone else will know exactly what's wrong.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:09 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If you have a CEL get it scanned, then go from there.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:59 AM

Oil is fine, trans fluid is fine. Everything seems fine.. but then something dawned on me.

We drove for about 10 miles down a very dusty road (wasnt asphalt) and I fear I might have got dust through the filter (I didnt oil it as I heard that was bad).

Can I take off that sensor thats in a black plastic tube and clean it?

Edit : Alex, what is the cheapest way to buy the thing that reads the CEL codes?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:14 AM

Don't know about the noise.

As for the spluter you get when moving off, Well i've got a friend who used to own a BMW auto that started to do same thing from a standing start but like yours was fine once it was moving, he had it checked out and was told the transmission was on its way out, he had it seen to and it was fine after, i'm no mechanic and i'm only going off what you've said and compared it to the BMW.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Well last night I took it to a vacant parking lot and done some tests.. Stuff like, turn OD off, turn it on, pull away briskly in 1 and 2 and D and all that happy stuff and it was running fine.

So I got it out onto the expressway and gunned it, was running fine.

The problem seems to have gone away only to be replaced with a CEL lol.

I have a feeling there might be dust in the air system, so at the weekend Ill take it all off and clean it, clean the filter whilst Im there too (might even replace it with the AEM clone one).

The stutter in first gear started happening straight after the dirt road, although I did start to run very low on fuel then and.... hey I just realised.. When my tib has less than 1/3 of a tank of gas in it it always loses power.. hmm, I think Im gonna change that wretched fuel filter too, 90,000 miles and Id lay my ass the bastards never been changed..

Think I'll call my pa in law later and ask him if he minds lending ole pandy a hand at the weekend smile.gif

Also to mention I have had CEL's before, and after a day or so they usually go away.. and again they usually come about when I have had gas put in the car.. once it was because they didnt do up my gas cap fully, but Im really REALLY beginning to suspect that sodding fuel filter.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

You can go to Autozone and get a free CEL reading. I don't know about Advance Auto parts though. Do you have one in your area?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

QUOTE (Pandy @ Aug 14 2006, 12:59 PM)
(I didnt oil it as I heard that was bad).

The thinking now is that the K&N/AEM type filters that are made of an oil wetted gauze are not the best but don't use one without properly oiling it or it will not work very well at all. They rely on the oil to trap the dust and dirt. If you don't want to oil the filter, get rid of it and get a dry type to replace it.