Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What Am I? (hose)

Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: car

So I was driving home and my car dies. The idle got all screwy and my car died. After about 10 mins of looking, I find this hose disconnected. It comes off the intake manifold and goes to another hose, and a sensor. Idle air control maybe? I don't know. It's slightly larger than a 5/8" hose, and is about 2.5" long. What is this and what does it do? It is leaking as well I found out. Slightly dry rotted on the bottome where it stretches to go over the fittings. There is a leak you can hear as well. It may be they sensor going bad... I don't know. But it could also be the cause of my 225-250 miles per tank... I hope... lol

thanks for the help y'all. If you don't know what part I'm talking about, I'll take a better pic.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:28 PM

thats your idle air control valve, its very important. definitly toss a new piece of hose on there.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:30 PM

Lol, it's the idle air control foo, and if the hose is roted and leaking replace it.

edit: Dangit you won me xxxmonoxidechild mad.gif
Old 05-26-2007, 08:46 PM

Anyone wanna sell an extra IAC valve they have? lol I think the valve itself may be leaking... and the hose is def rotting... Could that destroy my gas mileage?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:19 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It will cause you to suck in alot of extra air. Yes it will cause bad gas milage. Those IACs are pretty reliable. you can just pick up a new hose at pep-boys or any other auto-parts store.

Your IAC should be making a slight bit of noise as the air passes the blades. it sounds like it's leaking, but it's not. It's the ACTUAL idle control. If you adjust your idle with your IAC unplugged, then plug it in, you should hear a humming sound as the IAC vibrates back and forth on it's spring inside. It should stay at about a 1/4th opened state. It's whole purpose is to regulate the fall of the RPMs, keep your car idling at 850RPM and close off a bit when it's cold outside.

So, it makes two sounds. The humming sound will appear to be comming from throughout the engine, and therewill always be a slight hiss from the smaller bit of hose that connects it to the intake manifold.

... and clean your engine, it's giving me the heebie jeebies just looking at that. nana.gif
Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 PM

lmao, that's a pic for the first day i got my car, just happened to be the best pic of said IAC I could find... lol I've cleaned it since then. Izzz perday! I'm going to paint my spark plug cover soon too. I just need to fnd a red to match my intake. I'm going to replace all my hoses just to be safe. All air, coolant, and everything... lol I might buy a new IAC jsut for good measure too. For maybe $30 at the yards, it beats like $50 for a fill up at the gas station more often..
Old 05-26-2007, 11:07 PM

[quote name='BlizagaXx' date='May 26 2007, 10:24 PM' post='303067']
So I was driving home and my car dies. The idle got all screwy and my car died.

hey did your car start after it stalled?....because my car will do the exact same thing at stops... but it runs fine on the highway except for a few misfires.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:00 AM

It was good after I hooked up the hose again.. I think there is a leak somewhere though... So to answer your question, yes it runs fine now. dunno how that hose got unhooked though... kind of odd..
Old 05-27-2007, 12:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i have an extra one of those hoses i think. let me check in the next couple days if you want it, i'm still moving all my junk from my college place back home.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

defintely look for more leaks, if you have one hose dry rotted, you probably have more, and if you search a little here, you will find you can use some break cleaner to clean the IAC.

like DTN said, the IAC is very reliable, it is not known to fail.

but damn how long do you think you were driving like that, cuz that was unfiltered air getting sucked into the engine.

you may want to change your oil STAT, i you drive in a dusty area or on dusty roads.

and i think i have an extra IAC let me know if you want it, and Ill go rummage thru the garage. smile.gif