Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Valve Question - Hla's?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I removed my stock cam to put in a 1.8 when I realized the 1.8 was pretty worn so I decided not to use it. So I put the stock cam back in but now I've noticed that the 1st cylinder's 1st intake valve is sticking out further than it should be even after turning the whole assembly over getting it timed just right. I don't think it's bent or anything but it's worrying me and I'm wondering if I should be replacing the hla's while I've got the head out. the motor has 105k on it.

thanks!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If the valve stem is sticking up higher than the rest, that is a problem; pull the HLA to check on it.

If the HLA is not seated all the way down it could look like the valve is sticking up but it's just the HLA.

If the HLA is seated and all the rest are also, and one is standing proud with the cam off, you would have 7 collapsed HLAs and HUGE valvetrain noise that you would have noticed while the engine was running

If the cam is in there and won't sit straight
That's normal. Push down a little on the cam to get it far enough down to mount the caps all the way across. Then torque the caps in sequence.

DO NOT overtorque. Use the search feature to see what happens when you overtorque cam or valve cover bolts.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

well from the best of my knowledge that one hla must have still had some oil in it. I went down today for the first time in a week to work on the tib and the valves are all level now and there's a little puddle of oil under that one valve. I have the head perched on two wood blocks so I could turn it over and watch the valves.

thanks!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ FaithofaDragon (oldschool member here) said if you take out the HLAs and put them in brake fluid overnight, it helps out with rejuvenating them. It might be something to look into while you've got it disassembled this far. You just pull the cams out and the HLAs will come out by gently pulling on them by hand.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Never heard of sticking them in brake fluid. I usually store them in motor oil after taking them out of the car. I'll have to research that, but anything that gets in the HLA's will eventually end up in your oil. Don't know how brake fluid would act in the motor.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

The couple of drops that would be in there, probably no worse than the gasoline blowby you get past the rings.

I can see where it might help to clean them out a little, but you could probably store them in kerosene or something & get the same effect.

They pump right back up again in a couple of minutes after you start the engine, so why not store them "dry?"
Old 10-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I don't store them dry to keep the seals wet.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

How about just never cleaning them off with a solvent, for used ones (which is what I meant)? Engine oil is pretty persistent.