Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

valve chatter?

Old 04-16-2002, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve chatter?

it seems I'm the 3rd person who has run nos and has loud valve chatter months after we stoped using it, anyone else experiencing it?
Old 04-17-2002, 02:08 AM

DAM!

Dam giggle gas, now i know what to look foward to
Old 04-17-2002, 03:22 AM

Brendan!!
Remember when we had a meet last year in Woodbridge and i had valve Ticking?
Thats because of the NOS i had and i had it replaced by the dealer under warranty.Its defently the NOS that caused it
Old 04-17-2002, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

JAWS 021:
Dam giggle gas, now i know what to look foward to
Remember that intermittent loud clatter noise you were complaining about?????
Old 04-17-2002, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Here's a new question:

I have seen the oil that comes out of a nitro dragster's engine. ONE run produces the funkiest swirly white-blue oil I ever saw...

...could regular N2O be causing extra degradation of the oil or enough contamination to be messing with the HLAs faster than regular n/a or turbo power would?

should N2O users accordingly do more frequent oil flushes/changes?
Old 04-17-2002, 06:07 AM

dragsters use an EXTREMELY rich mixture to cool exhaust valves. some of the leftover fuel is washed down the cylinder bores into the crank case. A regular street driven vehicle shouldn't have a rich enough mixture to cause oil contamination.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:10 AM
Red

I'm failing to see how the nitrous use would cause damage to the HLA's. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, I'm just not sure how it would.

What would usually cause an HLA to die is high revs -- which puts a lot of torture on the membrane assembly and can blow it out. Which then makes the HLA collapse and it starts ticking and clacking.

When you're spraying, although the cylinder pressure is higher, that doesn't really affect the valves. Higher pressure just means the valves will (potentially) seat tighter against the head. They don't bottom out against the HLA, they bottom out against the valve seat...

The only thing I can think of is that people using nitrous might have a tendancy to "use" their engines more than others wink
Old 04-17-2002, 06:37 PM

I was told that using nitrous dries out normally oiled parts. eg. When you are spraying the nitrous flows over parts and takes some of the oil off of them thus leaving them more susceptable to wear.
Don't know if this is true or not or is the cause of your problem, but it is possible.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:25 PM
Red

No.

Nitrous flows into the combustion chamber, which is not "oiled" in the sense that you are using. Nitrous oxide is a gas under high pressure, it has no solvent effect on any oily surface. The extreme cold that the depressurization causes (moving from 900-1000psi bottle pressure to 15psi atmospheric) would not have an effect either.

The damage that these folks are explaining are either bad valve guides, bad HLA's or even perhaps some sort of damage to the valve seats. However, if a Hyundai dealership was able to "fix" the clatter under warranty, it makes me believe it was a bad HLA or two.

HLA's are known to go bad occasionally, but they're more of a standard wear-and-tear item. I still cannot see how nitrous would accelerate the decay of the HLA diaphragm.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:30 PM

I was thinking of a GM head where the valve stems run in the intake runner of the head. I don't know how the valves run in the Hyundai 2.0 head.

As I said, I was told this but don't know myself. Thanks Red for the info. Also did you see my Q in the other post about the NX wet system?

Nevermind I just saw it!!!

[ April 18, 2002, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Canadian Prairie Shark ]