Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Vacum Problem

Old 11-14-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. I just finished dropping a 97 1.8l beta motor in my 98 accent, I know it isnt a tib, but its a tib motor. It went in OK and everything has been going good, i have it running right now with open headers, not prefered but it doesnt go to the exhaust shop until thursday. It starts and runs rough, obviosly, open headers will cause this, i check my vacum pressure and its only reading about 15 lbs at idle, my tib ran around 22. Is this normal? Ive been through all of my hoses and connections and found no leaks, I have 2 theories.
1. Open headers will reduce you vac pressure in some way.

2. I changed my timing belt and water pump before dropping the motor in, if I buggered up my timing I wouldnt be getting the valves opening at the right time to get proper suction.

I will know more after the exhaust is hooked up, I know it isnt impacting anywhere, I handcranked it before firing it up to be sure. How can I be sure its the timing belt? use a timing light? CEL? (I just fired up a swapped motor, i have like 30 codes right now) Has anyone gone through this?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:04 AM

OK, i got bored yesterday, i tried losening the timung belt and advancing the cam gear by one tooth, then I hand cranked the motor to insure it wouldnt inpact anything and fired it up, sure enough it ran a little better, i feel that i should have gone one or two more. its at the exhaust shop todayso i dont get to play with it again until tomorrow, it will probubly be a different car with the rest of the exhaust attached. I think this would be a situation to use a timing light, im roughly familiar with how to use it, but ive never seen one used on a direct injected, computer controlled ignition, can anyone give me some advice? thanks guys.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

did you change your ECU to match the engine homie??? get me some pics and the error codes as well i will show it to my man here if your tripping codes its because of sensors or wireing.. 15~22 lbs of vac is good.. if you had no vac then you have big problems.. make sure the timeing is on the money dont adv the timeing anymore all so check to make sure you timeing chain is correct as well.. the siginal form the sensor in the accent and tibby are not the same...
Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My Tib ran fine open headers as an fyi, smooth idle.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:27 PM

she was throwing the code for a high signal on my maf sensor, i think it was the p0304ish. and my haines manual says that if you are holding a steady 15lbs of vacum then your ignition timing is faulty, but i dont have a way of testing it, im trying to sourse a timing light or a better diagnostic tool that will give me the information i need, mine only gives me the codes. I fired it up at the exhaust shop today for a minute, and it ran a little better with exhaust, but its deffinently not perfect yet. my next chance to tinker with it is monday, ill try and sourse a diagnostic tool, and troubleshoot everything. Im starting out with the accent ecu, once i get that running right im gonna try going up to a beta ecu. I need this car on the road by December 1st, so the race is one. thanks for the help guys
Old 11-16-2006, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, try and find a timing light.

What liter motor was in the Accent?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 AM

it was a 1.5 sohc, i put in a 1.8 because i already had it hanging around in the garage, this could possibly be the first 1.8l swap..... or maybe there is some other strange reason why someone would use a 1.8 motor.