Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Two questions (oil and fuel filter)

Old 08-26-2001, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions (oil and fuel filter)

Changed the oil last week, fuel filter yesterday.

First, I put too much oil in. Not much, but after the change, it read a little low (after running it for a minute at idle). I added a 1/4 quart and it wend right to the dot under the F. Well, I checked yesterday, and now it's about 1 to 2 mm about the F now.

The good news (if you can call it that) is that my car seems to consume oil very slowly (goes down to the 1/2 way mark between E and F by the time I need a oil change). So any excess oil won't be there for longer than a month.

However, I'm wondering if this will cause any problems, and if so, how do I fix them?

the second question has to do with that plastic cover that goes around the fuel filter? What is its purpose? And if, I uh, um, happened to break it while changing the filter (the plastic around the screw hold just disintegrated) will that cause any problems? It doesn't look like it has any function. Not a heat shield, the filter is too high to protect from rocks/debris. Unless it is to protect the filter in case the engine grenades itself and parts are flying around the engine bay (but if that happens, the condition of your fuel filter is the least of your worries). Any ideas?

Thanks,
a
Old 08-27-2001, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's there partly to prevent any arching. If a hot wire touches the casing and transfers enough current to melt a hole thru the metal filter casing it could explode. However, I haven't seen a part number for it on Extranet. I left mine off.

Also, that little bit of extra oil won't hurt anything. Just more oil for the crankshaft to slice thru but no big deal.

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: Norubit ]
Old 08-27-2001, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Excess oil can cause exessively high oil pressure, plus a loss in HP due to excessive oil drag inside the engine.

if it is just 1 or 2 mm over the F mark, that's not too bad, but I would reccomend draining the extra oil.

Too much oil can be just as bad as not enough oil.