Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission Swappers: Battery Charging Wiring Fix?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I have heard a couple of reports of batteries overcharging or improperly charging after the auto to manual conversion, but nobody has said what they did to fix it, as far as I can find online

I am coming up fast on needing to change the transaxle and I do NOT want to blow out a $200 Optima because of one stupid wire...

What is the fix for this? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The charging system is a closed loop system. if more power is needed, the regulator on the alternator supplies it. The lamp output is the only thing that relies on anything other then the alternator and battery. As long as you hook up power and ground, there should be no problems.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

if that pictures means as much to you as it did to me....

There's a wire on the ECU that you need to run a constant 12v source to. You'll have to pull the ECU off, find out which wire it is, and tap into it. Then plug the ECU back in.

People in the past have said that this wiring prevents the battery from being overcharged, because it tells the system that it's a manual now instead of an automatic. It's all over these forums, in the DIY section as well as others. Not sure where you looked for your information.

My problem came when a bolt on the block came loose, and wasn't grounding properly to the battery. I followed the cable from the negative terminal of the battery and it attached to the engine block, where I could finger-turn the bolt. No charging problems after that. Not sure which idiot loosened that bolt

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=282

Pin-86
I wouldn't cut it, just tap into it. See if that fixes it.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Since the replies to this thread are duplicated in my other thread (thanks guys! ) mods please close this one. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

See further discussion at the Swap thread: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=28299&hl=