Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission Swap

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My transmission is grinding when shifting and the clutch is slipping, so i guess it's time for a new tranny and clutch. I read a lot before starting this topic, i just wanted your opinion. My plan is to swap in a beta II trans from a 2002 elantra, with a gripforce stage 1 clutch off ebay and a F1 prolite flywheel too. Except fluids and everything, is there any other parts needed?

I'm not doing this swap for extreme performance purpose, i just want to get the tib running fine for cheap smile.gif

I read the whole clutch review thread but still would it be a good combo?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/F1-PROLITE-FLYWHEEL-97-...=item5190e62b3c

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-CLUTCH-KIT-1997-199...=item5190ed11da

Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

i have that flywheel and i couldn't be happier with it, excellent choice! i don't have any experience with that particular clutch but i'm sure there are others on here who do.

as far as the trans that should be a good choice, i loved my beta II while i had it.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The transmission could just be begging for some good oil. Redline, The dealership, and Royal Purple all make GL4 synthetics that will work. Expect grinding shifts with cheap oil and wrong-weight or old oil.

The clutch could be glazed. Search for the deglazing DIY on this site.

You may be in the clear for $30, worth a shot anyway.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

gripforce sucks.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=25446&hl=

unfortunently the pictures are gone now, I can look them up if you want them. Gripforce never did anything about it and I gave up and bought a fidanza flywheel.

act plus fidanza ftw
Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Well I already changed gear oil like 2 months ago at 175 000km with Quaker State oil i think, i asked my garagist to do it at the same time that my oil change. There was some metal fragments in the old oil so i guess synchros might be already real bad. I heard about redline mt-90 but can find it anywhere (i'm from canada). Ordering it online might be a PITA because of duty fees.

And for the clutch i read the DIY about deglazing the clutch, i've tried it but it's still very slippy (when shifting second at more than 4000rpm it really doesn't grip). Changing only the clutch would be about the same amount of time for a garagist that changing tranny+clutch i guess since they have to take off the trans anyway. I would do it myself but i don't have any other knowledge than what i read on this forum so i doubt it will come out good!

Supercow, you said that gripforce suck and everything but they don't really claim to give any more gain than OEM...My car isn't boosted like yours, I only have a CAI! But thanks for the advice i'll do more research before buying gripforce products!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Get an OEM clutch and Beta II tranny. OEM is fine for n/a mods, and can be found cheap on ebay.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 AM

yes it's true i just found a OEM one for the same price as the gripforce. I might go this route. For the flywheel, do you think i'd see any gain if a combine OEM clutch + lightweight chromoly flywheel? Or it would be the same if i just get the stock one resurfaced?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Sure, get a Fidanza and OBX crank pulley if you can afford them. I saw gains at the track when I was n/a.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

chromoly is much lighter than oem, aluminum is even lighter but more expensive. the reduced rotational mass will help with engine response, the downside is that your engine will have less rotational inertia. not much of a problem for us, you just have to keep the revs up a bit more when starting from a stop. i could definitely notice a difference with mine. i don't remember how much the other flywheels weigh but my stocker was about 17lb.

how bad is the grinding? does it do it every time in a specific gear?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:07 PM

From the Weight Reduction DIY thread:

- Flywheel - 17.6lbs (Stock) / 7.5lbs (Fidanza) / 8.36lbs (VHR) / 11lbs (Gripforce)