Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission

Old 09-26-2005, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Well on the way back from the track this weekend I was accelerating in the 5th gear very hard full boost and when i hit almost 4000 rpms Bang I lost 5th gear. So for all you boosted guys out there who said not to worry about 5th gear be Very Carefull.

Back in the old HA fourm days Random and a couple other ppl stressed the fact that not drive to hard in 5th with more then 200 whp.

It was prolly only my 5 or 6th time trying it this year

Oh well shit happens lmao.gif

Any thoughts on the best transmission to get with better gearing? Is the elantra tranny all that better?

Oh and the car maid some good #'s 13.23 @ 105.9 MPH still breaking traction after the 60ft. My 60 ft was 2.09

The BFG drag radials are ok but I need me some slicks laugh.gif

Better times to come yet haha.gif
Old 09-26-2005, 07:21 AM

what numbers are you puttin out now?

Sorry to hear about your tranny loss, but I think it was discussed many times before not to drive to hard in 5th.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:27 AM

Any thoughts on the best transmission to get with better gearing? Is the elantra tranny all that better?

Also anything from a 97-05 with 2.0L will bolt up and the clutch/lsd/axels will all be the same?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:09 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well if you contact mad_john he can get you a longer 5th gear for a decent price

might even be stronger
Old 09-26-2005, 12:05 PM

The elantra has much better gearing as far 4th gear.

Who said not to worry about 5th gear while boosting??? Onpol used to always say 5th gear was crap... I always said it was crap (well i think the tranny is crap period).

I have an elantra tranny in my tib right now. Its an 03 tranny. It fits with only a slight modification to the housing behind the rear tranny mount (you just need to grind it a bit).

Its ok, except you need to play with the shifter cables.. sometimes the shifter gets *stuck*.

I still need to play with adjusting the cables a bit... hopefully i can figure it out before im boosting a crazy amount of PSI.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:47 PM

Well if your worried about your tranny breaking..

Switch the main gear, 5th gear, synchros, differential, and while your in there... have your tech pay special attention to the clearances on the differential to see if additional shims are needed.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:29 PM

Ok back on topic hear i am getting a new tranny tomorrow.

I am not worried about 5th gear. I cross the line in 4th at the track and around the city i dont get in 5th

Jaws is the gearing the exact same between the tiburon and elantra threw 1-3 with 4 gear only being longer?

This is what is available to be
04 Tiburon tranny, 6000 kms

02 elantra 30,000 kms

98 elantra with 46,000 kms

What is the best to go with hear?
I am kinda leaning towards the 04 tib tranny because its pretty much brand new. I am not to worried about longer gearing because I will be happy with a 12 sec tiburon and with some new bogart wheels and the righ size slick I will be fine.

But i am worried about what jaws said about the linkages. I was having some problems of 4th gear locking me out sometimes maybe my linkages just may need to be adjusted?

I need some thoughts and opinions here ppl.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Well i dont know what the gearing is on the 04 tiburon.. so i cant help you there.

As far as it locking you.. im *HOPING* that adjusting them will do the trick...

With the 03 tranny.. im getting it quite a lot..

Also.. the 02 elantra tranny and the 03 elantra tranny have a different case.. so it could be that the links are different (longer or shorter)

I would go with the tiburon tranny because its newer as well..

You might wanna check out the gear ratios on it though.. I do know that the 02 elantra is a perfect fit though.

1-3 are the same, 4th is longer..