Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Trans Cracked, Leaked Oil

Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hey everyone,

Just thought I would post up my problem to see if anyone else has experienced it.

I smelled burning gear oil in my car, so jacked up the car, and there is a good bit of gear oil coating my undercarraige, leaking from the sight holes in the bell housing of the tranny. So I figure, it's an input shaft seal.

I yank off the 2.0 trans this morning and the inside of the bell housing has about a 3" long crack in the area of the differential, it isn't an open crack, but you can see the aluminum buckling out, just hasn't chipped off. Not on the outside edge, on the inside edge that surrounds the diff if you know what I am saying.

The input shaft wasn't leaking, just cracked the housing. WTF?

Anyway, I already put my spare 1.8 trans in, and the speedo is already calibrated for the shorter gear ratio, must have less teeth on the diff. It was wet so I couldn't really tell, but I wonder if the car is faster with the slightly shorter gears?

Running great on OEM 75/85 gear oil $15 a quart, but much less thick than 75/90 MOTUL full synthetic GL4/GL5 I was running (which I think caused some serious internal wear, twice in 10k I drained the trans and the fluid is solid silver and I don't even grind that often (couple times a week). I replaced it like 5k ago and it was mad silver, just like today when I drained it. I am talking silver to the point that you cant see through it when it is draining. I think my gear oil was color matched to my car, LOL.

Only took me about 5 hours from start to finish on my garage floor with no help. I had to get the shift fork in the throw out bearing with the TOB still in the pressure plate. Got lucky and did it first try, couldn't get the damn snap ring loose to remove the TOB from the pressure plate so...

BTW: My gripforce clutch with 15k on it was just starting to contact the rivets for those of you with one. There was however only about .010-.015" clearance between the clutch surface and the rivet when it was brand new so..
Needless to say my next clutch with be good ol clutchmasters.