Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tranny Swap

Old 01-02-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: body kit fitment issue

Anyone know how much it would cost to replace teh automatic transmission in my 2000 Tiburon to a manual without the cost of the transmission itself? Thanks
Old 01-02-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: FS- Blue Front corner light bulbs

You're going to need more than a transmission. ECU, linkages, clutch, fluid lines, etc. That'll probably run you 600.00 or so.

If you install it yourself with a used transmission and used clutch/flywheel, you're looking at 1500.00 for something that would never shift as well as if it came with a manual. If you pay someone to do it, you're looking at 3000.00.

It would be a lot easier to just beef up the automatic, or sell your Tib and buy a manual transmission Tib.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: Stuffed Clutch?!

Why would it never shift as well as if it had come as a manual?
Old 01-02-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: My new OBD II scanner tool

To an extent. Unless you really know what your doing and study how everything is setup in the manual version or you pay someone that has major experience in this, its frankly a hackjob thats thrown together to get it to work. You're not getting it from the factory, where the best tools and knowledge are used to put it together.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

There would be no difference in shifting if it were installed correctly and the clutch was adjusted properly. You would not need the ECU. You would need the linkages, clutch pedal, brake pedal, clutch master cylinder, shifter, clutch fluid, and the axles for the 5 speed motor have been recommended but are not necessary. It cost me $421 and roughly 13-15 hours total doing the whole thing from start to finish by myself. That also included taking the motor and tranny out of another car. Follow this wiring diagram and you will have nothing to worry about. http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=44833. Read this too. http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=51977. Then go to this page and scroll down to the Key Lock Mechanism part. This is my page from when I did my swap. It is so you can take the key out after doing the swap. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/484164/6. The swap is actually pretty easy to do just seems like a lot. If you do this it will be the best mod you could do other than turbo. Also, the firewall is marked where it needs to be cut for the linkages, the clutch pedal, and the clutch master cylinder so there is no guessing.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: LaughatRice.com

Hyundai must have used the same ECU in auto and manual transmissions to cut costs or for some stupid reason. Normally, ECUs need to be replaced because they are configured for a certain type of transmission.

Speed, you bought a donor car that I'm guessing was dead or beat up? Hrm... well depending on whether or not there is one in his area that may not be an option. Buying the linkages, master cylinder, and such online would probably be a few hundred plus the cost of the tranny.

It being the best mod you can do other than turbo is kind of pushing the greatness of the manual tranny. Sure they're nice, but plenty of other things shave 0.3 seconds off your quarter mile time.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:58 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: Tranny Swap

Hyundai's auto's suck. I've never ran a quarter mile but I could almost guarantee it was quite a bit more than .3 seconds faster. And yes, I bought a junked Tib and got an excellent deal on it. But still, there are plenty of people on http://hyundaiperformance.com that did it for under $1000.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: LaughatRice.com

You may think its more, and a half a second is a great gain in the quarter. I wish I could take half a second off of my GSX right now. However, you're giving the manual too much credit. Intake/Exhaust would give similar gains (0.3-0.5). I don't go around saying Intake/Exhaust is the best thing to going turbo. lol.gif
---------------------------------
The gearing in the autos is less aggressive, and there is slightly less drivetrain loss. You could probably gain 7-12whp over the auto's drivetrain loss, and the slightly better gearing would let you finish the quarter a tad bit better. The auto would probably run faster once you got down in the 12s though since first gear and second gear are so bad in Tiburon manuals.

Overall, the best gain you would expect from auto->manual is 0.5 seconds.

The fastest manual tibs that I've seen (Oddessit, myself, and few others) run about 16-16.3 stock. I've never heard of a Tib running slower than 17 or so in the quarter where the conditions are not extreme (ex. 5000 above sea level, or extremely hot temperatures).

Average driver/conditions in auto: 17
Average driver/conditions in manual: 16.5
Old 01-02-2005, 09:39 PM

Auto tibs do suck..poor things and there's been talk about tranny swaps for years and a few people have done it with no problem. There's no need to sell and auto to buy a 5speed just do the swap.