Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tornado Air

Old 04-27-2002, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado Air

Hey I'm just lookin round in my Import Tuner mag from this month looking for the website for RC Engineering to upgrade my fuel pump for my upcoming turbo system, when I notice something called Tornado Air Management, that is supposed to increase air flow + increase mpg. Now at first I was thinking oh, probably another Honda/Acura-only mod. Nonetheless I went by the site in hope. I watched the movies and read the How It Works, and all in all in makes pretty good sense, so I'm planning on ordering it, I'll make sure to post how it works out. It's supposed to be a little under 10 min's to install so I won't include anything other then how it feels, I don't have any type of readout or self-dyno testing things, so I'll just tell you how it feels, eventually I'll get it dyno'd soon as the race track opens up (I live in Alaska so there are no yet open tracks, why? theres still snow on the ground, not the majority but some) Anyway, I would'nt mind someone telling me the RC Engineering site eitha! LoL!
Old 04-27-2002, 03:13 PM

One Word... CRAP.. Do a search.. You will find ALL KINDS of info on this Gimmick... If ONLY it were that easy... smile.gif
Old 04-27-2002, 03:46 PM

Hmmmm Search Engine isn't working for me yet, that's kind of a downer, so what's the problem with it? By da way, still no RC Engineering site? smile.gif

[ April 27, 2002, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: 9o7TiB7o9 ]
Old 04-27-2002, 04:11 PM

Here's a better idea wait for the Shark CAI...
That way you don't have to experiment...
And you'll have Real dyno results
Old 04-27-2002, 04:11 PM

The problem is that it's UTTER CRAP.

It does nothing. Tornado air--bull****. The really thing that this miracle 'funnel' creator does is restrict your air intake. It's a rip-off, at least on fuel-injected cars.
Old 04-27-2002, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

www.rceng.com

The search feature is broken in the engine forum. I'm working on trying to fix it.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:03 PM

The Short of it and hopefully I remember this right cause its been a while since someone brought this one up is that even if it could swirll the air its still runs into a wall called the Throttle body.. and doesnt get past there if it did it would then have to swirll the air around a few curves and the split off into four swirls into the chambers and Some other stuff that basically I have forgotten but you should get the point by now its crap..

Oh and so are the ebay mods while your at it that trick your computer..

hopefully that will do until the search gets fixed..
Old 04-28-2002, 03:54 PM

Oh yeah another thread on the tornado. rolleyes.gif

If i ever meet the guy who invented that thing I will whoop his ass.

Dude, if you could REALLY get 5-15hp plus better fuel economy from a bent up tin can then EVERY car maker would make it a standard piece of equipment. rolleyes.gif

Don't waste your money.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:28 AM

Pure 100% grade A crap
Old 04-29-2002, 01:28 AM
BV1

Normally I agree, and I still do agree that for the most part its crap, but only 80% crap not 100% lol The tornado does increase milage by compressing the air slighty right before the TB. The tornado creates restriction right before the TB and using the energy it steals by doing so, it creates a vortex.

The pressure in the center of the vortex will be greater then the outside. However due to the velocity of the air on the outside of the spiral the ambient pressure will be less then atmospheric pressure. There are the same # of air molecules before and after the Tornado, they dont come from nowhere.

If one measured the air entering the CAI tube before and after tornado install, at WOT, they would be the same, or with the Tornado it would be slightly less. Since air is power, the HP claims are pretty bogus!

However at say 50% throttle more air "could" be entering the engine due to the pressure at the center of the spiral. Even though its half closed, more air could be getting around the TB. The TPS is telling the computer to inject the same amount of fuel it normally would despite the air flow increase. This results in better mileage to a point, by running lean.

Just trying to help,
-Steve