Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

timing problem

Old 05-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it is lined up, it is timed properly. How were the valves tested for closure? At the very simplest, you could turn the head upside-down and fill the combustion chambers with water with a drop of soap or maybe gasoline. If they seal enough to make SOME compression but not as much as the other 3 cylinders, maybe they're only a teeny weeny bit bent . . . . You really kinda have a weird case here. A well-done leakdown test will be informative. Hey, bright side: at least it runs, right?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

So a leakdown test is more precise than a compression test?

Wouldn't a valve a little bit bent show at speed to as it does at idle?

Lastly again with bent valves wouldn't I have had the same rough idle as I did when I got it back and the timing was off?

Does a sticking valve make sense? Getting stuck at low rpms and freeing up at higher rpms? If this is the case, is there anything that could free up the valve? Sea foam in the intake, crank case, and gas tank.

Also got codes 0300, 0302, 0303 again. Both cylinders 2 and 3, run off the same coil pack. However, you can hear it firing when you remove the spark plug wire. Could it be not a strong enough wyattage?