Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Timing Belt Tension Side

Old 02-18-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

a while ago i changed my timing belt and am just a little concerned with the looseness of the thing on the side that is labeled the "tension side" here...

http://www.hmaservice.com/viewer/content.a...63785%5Eshop%24

my timing belt is very loose on that side, but not always. after the engine is running for a bit you can see it go under tension, and then lose tension to the point of it vibrating which scares the hell out of me. it switches between tension and looseness randomly it seems like. i know all bolts are tight. the tensioner pulley is also pushed into the belt as far as humanly possible.

im going to recheck things shortly, any suggestions on what to do? im guessing just manually cranking the engine until i can get the tension side to actually be in tension, and then pushing the tensioner pulley in even more.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I know after i did my belt that i had to adjust it a few times to get it "comfortable" AKA no belt strain being to tight and not flop either. Its kinda subjective to tell you how much to push the tensioner in to make the belt tight. You are on the right path by hand cranking the engine to get he belt tight.

I tightened till i could hear belt humming and then loosened it till i could not hear it any more and ive been fine for the last 8k or so. Sorry i could not be more help.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yeah, this was like 15k miles ago, just has always bothered me. i think i am going to try and hand crank until i can catch it with tension on the tension side and then adjust the idler pulley.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I was like that the first few months, Ive just made myself be satisfied that i did it correctly and that the belt is correct. Ive watched it for weeks and it looks fine. I know how you feel though.