Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Timing belt keeps walking

Old 05-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent
Default Timing belt keeps walking

So I installed new timing belts on my tib and elantra and the tib is being a total pain since the belt keeps walking to the very edge of the cam gear. I replaced all the tib parts with a Gates belt, tensioner and idler and have them all torqued to spec. The belt stays in place when hand cranking but when I fire it up it moves to the edge of the gear and does a wobble movement.

I've swapped out cam gears to rule that out and have torn this thing apart numerous times to readjust it but it's not having it. I'm at my wits end on this since the belt is starting to fringe from where it rubs on the crank flange that sits behind the pulley.

I have even replaced the belt a second time and it does the same thing. Just for testing purposes I put the old parts on and the same results.

One thing I noticed is that the belt starts to run off the edge of idler and tensioner and gives it the wobble movement. I'm debating sticking washers behind the idler and tensioner to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-29-2016, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Could the idler or tensioner bearings be worn? causing them to sit at a slight angle allowing the belt to gradually walk off?

Also make sure you install the belt at the same offset on the crank and cam sprockets, I didn't once and after 20 seconds the belt almost slipped off of the cam sprocket.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:50 PM

The idler and tensioner are brand new. I set the belt so it sits as far back on the tensioner against the lip and then crank it by hand. Stays fine there but as soon as I start it up goes to the edge after a few seconds and then wobbles in place.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The lower timing cover would prevent the belt from walking off while running, but I haven't seen this problem before running without the cover.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tib

Something has to be out of line? alt pully a lil crooked? , or, did you have the crank pully off?, back on correctly?..just shooting more ideas..
Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 AM

I'm swapping out my current crank gear and flange with a spare to see if that is the issue.

Also ordered a belt tension tester too see if the tension is too tight or loose. It's one of those causing the problems.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

An old member here who was a Hyundai tech told me that as long as the small hole on the tensioner is directly below the bolt hole then you should be tensioned properly. *edit* what cams are you using?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:11 PM

I did a beta II head swap but the tensioner is the same. I've read that somewhere else as well and have tried it there, looser, tighter but it still moves.

I really think the crank flange is the culprit since it's pretty beat. Hopefully tomorrow when I put everything on, it will be resolved.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

Any chance the beta2 head is just ever so slightly wider? Offsetting the cam and tensioner pulleys
Old 06-02-2016, 11:06 AM

I'll take a straight edge to check if everything is in line but from eyeballing it, it looks fine.

I didn't have any issues with the old belt so something isn't right. Tonight I plan on reassembling it and hoping the new crank flange fixes it. That and proper belt tension.