Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Timing Belt (crank bolt)

Old 01-27-2005, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt (crank bolt)

I'm doing research on chaning my fiance's 00 Tibby's Timing Belt.

I looked at hmaservice.com and it's okay, but didn't answer all my questions.

I still have a couple questions.

1. After searching old posts I see one issue maybe the crank bolt. Where do you guys access it from? It looks protected from the bottom and barely accessable from the top. Also, what do you use to remove it? I see the engine method (rather not use) or use an impact wrench, but how can and impact wrech even fit in there? I don't have air so I was going to by an electric one. Please explain this futher for me.

2. My last question is how to remove the water pump pulley. All I have to do is remove the 4 bolts on front of the pulley right?

Anything else I need to know?

I'm a domestic guy and own a 00 Z28, but I do love the Tibby. It's been very good too my finance and I and it's time to learn how to work on it more. I hope you guys can help me. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:58 PM

You have to remove the passenger side front tire to get to it. You'll see it from there..then you can fit the impact to get it off.

I think it's best to get the water pump pully off first while the belt has tension to keep it from moving..or you'll probably have to get a chain/belt wrench to hold the pully. Gear or closed end wrenches work very well with removing the 4 bolts on the water pump pully..
Old 01-28-2005, 06:21 AM

once you remove the splash shield, the crank pulley is right out in the open in the passenger side wheel well. The engine method works fairly well if you trust it. If you have access to an air impact wrench though, that is an easier way to get it off.. just make sure the car cannot roll when you hit it with the air.

The biggest PITA you are going to find are all the little bolts that hold the timing belt cover on. They are VERY hidden and a few of them you need elastic arms and tools to get to as they are buried down between the engine and the fenderwell with very little space to work a wrench.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:33 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

^^^Tip: to really get at the little b@stards drop the timing belt side engine mounting while supporting the engine on a jack[rubber block between the sump and the jack, or its bye bye sump] Now you're gonna be able to raise and lower the whole damn thing and it makes the job so much easier. If you get the hang of it this method is actually quicker than trying to squeeze into the close areas. You will also have better access to the crank pulley, and have enough room to use an extractor as well.

Good luck, and WD40 is your friend.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:08 AM

Thanks guys. This answers my questions. Hopefully my arms are rubbery enough.