Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Timing Belt Changes

Old 07-12-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, the first thing i'm going to do with my new Tib is change the timing belt. I can get the belt done at Hyundai for $300 or I can do it myself. Which would you suggest?

If you say get it done at Hyundai, should I get everything else (ie: idler & tensioner pulley, waterpump, alt & ac belts) done at the same time?

If you say do it myself, should I buy a kit like this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-01-Hyund...Q2em118Q2el1247 OR http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hyundai-Cou...Q2em118Q2el1247 or can you suggest another good combination or items to use?

Any and all input will be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You should search, there are many threads on this exact subject.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Hyundai Tiburon

I put a search in for the words "timing belt". I get back 22 pages and a "search results limited to first 1000"

I read every post that has the words "timing belt" located in the topic heading.

I did not find a post that answers my questions.

Why is it that every automotive site you go too has a bunch of know-it-alls with 5000 posts but when a newb asks a questions their answer is always the same "why don't you search, that question has been answered".

Well people, get it straight, its like this, some of us newbs use the search function before we ask a question but having to sort through 1000 or more posts, more often than not filled with useless dribble or peoples opinions, not facts, just doesn't cut it for some. I'm not lazy, I sat for two hours reading posts before I asked the question.

You guys that have done these things, that have an actual comment or idea on the question asked, post it up, help out people less fortunate than you, we are joining these groups to get help, not to get the run-around.

Please keep this in mind before dismissing the next newb with a question.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Uhm.

No you didn't.

I was actually being nice to you, since you are new, and obviously not that bright or technically savvy.

I put a search in for the words "timing belt". I get back 22 pages and a "search results limited to first 1000"

So, first you are lying. How do I know? I just put in the words "timing belt" with the quotes as you showed, and there are only 16 pages, not 22 pages, of results.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=Sea...t%5C&st=375

Now, let's break this down even a bit more, using just a bit of common sense.

Hmm, I want to know about timing belts, maybe I should look at THREADS that are specifically about timing belts first?

So, I hit SEARCH, MORE SEARCH OPTIONS, and MORE OPTIONS.

I enter "timing belt" with the quotes, otherwise I'll get threads back about timing, or belts, and TIMING BELTS, into the first box.

Now, let's see, how can I make this even more refined? OH! How bout I JUST Select the PERFORMANCE section of the site, so I don't get threads from sales, off topic, ect.

And, just for shits and giggles, I'll search TOPIC TITLES ONLY.

That should work.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=Sea...Ctiming+belt%5C

Wow, 2 pages of threads, JUST about timing belts.

Now, let's look at this.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...ming+belt\

There's a thread about DIY'ing it, and you should be able to figure out if it's too hard or not from this and the other threads. That directly answers one of your questions.

Right under that thread...

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...ming+belt\

Another thread, with the same question, should I do my own belt or not? Advise? Wow.

So, I'm not going to sit here and go through and show you every answer to every question you have. Great, you used the search function, use it correctly next time and look a bit. We only have 8000 members or so, and most of them are inactive, so there aren't THAT many threads to read.

All of your questions are already answered here.

Should I do it myself? If you want to and think you can, yes, but do it right. If you don't think you can, or want any mistakes to be the fault of the dealer, then go with the dealer. It IS posted a few dozen times here.

What kit should you buy? What should you replace? All discussed too. Replace it with OEM stuff, or aftermarket, it's up to you. If you think you'd rather have OEM reliability, then get OEM stuff, if you trust the folks on Ebay selling enough, then buy it there. If not, then don't.

Hell, most of this is COMMON sense!

What else?

What should you replace? There's a recent thread on this, and in it the dealer is to have said "if your power steering pump isn't leaking, don't replace it. Otherwise? Duh, replace the belt, and the tensioners related to it as they have bearings in them.

I read every post that has the words "timing belt" located in the topic heading.

Read more.

Why is it that every automotive site you go too has a bunch of know-it-alls with 5000 posts but when a newb asks a questions their answer is always the same "why don't you search, that question has been answered".

How about we reverse that first? Why is it that every frigging new member of a website pretends they know who they are talking to? Or what they are talking about? Or that they searched worth a damn?

Second, every AUTOMOTIVE site? How bout EVERY FORUM on the net? Every forum I'm a member of, members that know the answers and have been there for awhile will pressure you to feed yourself. That's POLICY here. Why should we answer the same frigging question 4 TRILLION times?

Well people, get it straight, its like this, some of us newbs use the search function before we ask a question but having to sort through 1000 or more posts, more often than not filled with useless dribble or peoples opinions, not facts, just doesn't cut it for some. I'm not lazy, I sat for two hours reading posts before I asked the question.

Wow, telling the staff what to do already? Right here you say you don't want' peoples opinions, but in your first post of this thread, you ASK FOR OPINIONS and ADVISE.

You took 2 hours? I took 10 minutes.

Please keep this in mind before dismissing the next newb with a question.

Keep all of this in mind next time you dismiss a site administrator with an answer.

I'm closing your thread. Consider this a verbal warning, read and FOLLOW the site rules. We are sticklers here for them.

I'm not saying not to ask questions, but with some searching, and some reading, you can easily break down your questions or ask more direct ones. Hell, if you hadn't replied to me directly, I probably wouldn't have even bothered with this post again.