Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Timing Belt Change

Old 05-21-2006, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Nissan 300zx

I just finished changing all my belts on my 2000 tib, including timing belt. and now when i start up my car there is a loud ticking noise coming from the valve train. I followed the instructions from webtech, i lined up the cam gear to the red mark on the cylinder head, and the crankshaft gear to its proper mark with piston #1 at top dead center on the compression stroke. I've double checked everything i have done and i cant figure out why it is ticking, it wasnt before i did this. If anyone can help me out and let me know if i missed something or did something wrong i would greatly appreciate it, i need my car back in running condition by tomorrow night. TIA
Old 05-21-2006, 01:05 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

did you crank your vehical without the timing belt in place?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:50 AM

only with the breaker bar by hand, when i lined up the cam and the crank
Old 05-21-2006, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

red mark?

you align your cam gear to the top of the cylendor head not a red mark. get a timing light and double check everything. if you still have the ticking take it to somone who can fix it.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:00 AM

if you look at the cam gear in the UP position there is a little hole below the word UP and youre supposed to line that up with a red mark on the cylinder head, thats the red mark i'm talking about.

Also, where would you put the timing light? i can see the marks on the crank pulley but what other mark is used to do the timing?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:09 PM

i have never heard of that^ i have never seen it.

anyway ya... in the chilton book it will tell you to align the cam gear side marks/notchs to the top of the head. this will put the top of the engine at spec. for the bottom i just put the plastic back on and aligned the mark on the crank pulley to the btdc on the cover.

a timing light gets put on your #1 spark wire and your negative, then start the car and the light will flash n sync with your cars timing ie 10 degrees but if its off.... the line will show advanced or retarded. any autozone or auto parts place will lend one to you for free.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:13 PM

thanks but I know how to use the timing light, I was wondering where do you point it from most cars have marks on the crank pully and on the block to check it properly I can see the two slits on the pully but where is the mark on the block and what angle do I point the gun from to check properly
Old 05-21-2006, 10:18 PM

you point it at your crank pulley and you look for the line on your pulley as it spins and you get your timing marks off the plastic timing belt cover.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:21 AM

my only fear.. if the valves are off enough for the pistons to even kiss them... you are going to need to pull the head and check for damage and replace the bent/damaged pistons.

Personally, I NEVER align any engine I replace the belts on. As long as you are careful and do not move either the crank or cam pulley, it will remain in time. And trust me, the only people who have done more belts than me, are either fellow fiat owners or actual shop techs to replace belts all the time.