Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tick, Tick, Tick....

Old 12-08-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

LOL

I was wondering if backpressure is vital to the valves opening and closing. I was warmin' up the car (waiting for my stepmom to arrive) and after about 20 minutes, I hear a valve start to tap. Then another starts. I immediately stop the car and check the fluids.

My flexpipe is broken completely off but the tension of the exhaust mounts keep it in place (somewhat closed but not sealed. My car sounds like a pissed off hornet and you can hear the engine "pop" when I let off the gas.

The oil was changed within the last two weeks and has a perfect level. I made a 1600 mile journey from Charleston, SC to Meridian, MS. Of course I get on the pedal more then often, but I don't think that's why. The car currently has 99700 miles and has an automatic transmission.

Help?

02.gif
Old 12-08-2006, 09:17 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

part of the exhaust and intake's function is to dampen the sounds created by the engine.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM

It's not coming from the intake or the exhaust. I hear them thru the valve cover.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Yeah my lifters are noisy as fvck too. It's just showing it's age though... at least I hope so.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:25 PM
DTN

Faithofadragon could explain better, but the hydraulic lash adjusters are what makes our vehicles quiet. they could be bad and need replacement, but sometimes can be refurbished by soaking overnight in automatic transmission fluid
Old 12-08-2006, 09:38 PM

Are they hard to replace? I could prolly do it when I install my intake cam.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 AM

with a broken flex pipe you could have also burnt the valves. If the break in the pipe was ADDING backpressure instead of eleminating it, a backup of heat into the combustion side of the head can overheat the valves and burn them, resulting in them going out of round or not seating correctly, which would give you the ticking noise. Also, that broken flex pipe could allow the cat to clog due to a lack of heat allowing the exhaust to cool on the platinum honeycomb.

If you are sure of your oil and oil levels, the only think I can recommend is to pull the valve cover off and measure the play between the lifter and the cam. If that checks out and you still have the noise, you may have to do a compression check to see if one or two of the valves are not sealing properly
Old 12-09-2006, 08:27 PM

Well damn!

Oh well. Guess it's time for a junkyard motor to build. Also gonna keep this one goin' for as long as I can. It has 99850 miles on her and I think it's about due for it...LOL

I have a K03 turbo and a DSM SMIC sittin' in the garage waiting for their project.

lmao.gif

Thanks for the replies everyone!

fing02.gif
Old 12-09-2006, 08:30 PM
DTN

naw dude.. WTF? dosn't anyone ever listen to posts around here... tapping is caused by hydraulic lash adjusters. sure, you may need to hone your valves and seats too. but check your HLAs.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:39 PM

LMAO!!! Yeah I'll check those too, but my backup plan (if they check out) is what Mad-Machine and my Dad agree on. A compression and leakdown test.