Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tib Just Dies!?!

Old 08-12-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I've noticed that on several occasions, while I'm driving my car just shuts off, like I turned the ignition off. I ran a scanner to my system and the only code that came up was the one for the secondary O2 sensor but that's expected with my headers. Within the last 3 months I've replaced my fuel pump and filter, did a tune up (plugs, wires, etc...). I'm not sure where to look next, maybe ignition? Most of the time I can just put my car in neutral (automatic) and restart but every once in a while I have to pull off, let it rest for well between 10-20 min to restart. Anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 08-12-2006, 08:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Any details on when it does this? I mean during idle? During hard acceleration?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:09 AM

Moslty durring a steady throttle (cruising around 50-60), or when stopped/almost stopped. Never durring acceleration. It's best described as turning off the key in gear. But durring a re-start it turns over fine (starter) but is like there is no gas.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:11 AM

Well, first you need to get rid of the CEL, there's no use diagnosing anything till that's gone.

Next, I'd make sure you've run some quality fuel injector cleaner through your car, like B-12 Chemtool or the like. Then, make sure your maintenance is up to date. Pull your plugs and check them out. Reset your ECU, and check the MAKER of your TPS, post who makes it here.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:26 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

dude, replace the sensor with a dummy, or extend the wires past your cat on the exhaust.

The sensor, if you don't want to pay $30 can usually be replaced with a 4.7Kohm resistor at radioshack... but alot of people like to buy a 10Kohm potentiometer and adjust the readings to their liking.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:14 AM

Okay, I just got back from a nice little walk (5+ miles) with my 18mo daughter cause, you guessed it. She's dead. Sputtered and cut off when I got to a stop sign, BUT this time I noticed a surging/bogging about 1-2 miles before it died. By the way it acts I would think it was fuel related but when it dies the car, stays on cylinders fire without any responce from throttle (just a steadily declining exhaust note). I never get a CEL, but I did reset the comp. (had to when alt died 4 days ago). Man this is driving me nuts. In about 2 hours when my daughter takes a nap I'll go for another walk to get her and I'll let you know some more of that requested info.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

moving to engine&transmission.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:59 PM

Okay, I can't find my TPS to find the maker (I know where it should be but I can't see it). Plugs n wires are okay, fuel system is clean. No CEL. Have tons of resistors so I'm going to make an O2 simulator (thanks Driving) Tried to recreate the 'stalling' and the only way I could replicate it was by unplugging the fuel pump, but I can't check that durring driving to tell if it gives me a declining exhaust note. Wires, plug, etc to and from fuel pump look ok an I'm having someone bring over a tester to check the wiring. Any other sugesstions
Old 08-12-2006, 02:37 PM

My man, it's sounding like your TPS.

The TPS is your Throttle Position Sensor. If you follow your intake path back to your THROTTLE BODY, the black sensor on the FRONT face of it is the TPS. Look at it and see if it's Dae-Sung or Kiefco.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:07 PM

Sorry for the intermission. It's a Dae-Sung, but if the TPS went out of spec wouldn't it throw a code?