Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Throttle freezing open

Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon
Default Throttle freezing open

Is it possible for our throttles to stick open if I were to drive the car in extremely cold weather this winter (Minnesota gets pretty darn cold)? I have done the coolant bypass mod but I may return it back to stock since I have heard cold weather can hurt the car with this modification done.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I would recommend returning it to stock for the winter.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

They put them on the TB for a reason. I also know the LC accent I had (first year run of the 1.6) had some sort of recall on it concerning it being possible for the TB to freeze and it had the coolant lines running under it 0.o
Old 08-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You might put a valve on the line if you can get one cheap, so you don't have to keep messing with coolant hoses every year. I would probably leave it and maybe check on it every once in a while, if that. The concern is with long-duration runs at constant throttle in superduper cold weather. In traffic, it will probably be working enough to bust up any ice that might form. On a long highway trip, the ice might build up if you just steadily keep the gas in the same position.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

I've bypassed the TB hoses on the last 4 cars I've had and never had a problem in over 20 years. I live in Northeast Central Illinois where it gets good and cold.