Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

For those DIY 4-2-1 header folks

Old 04-20-2002, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those DIY 4-2-1 header folks

I have completed a new intake cam, BBTB and CAI on my 98 Elantra. I would like to go the 4-2-1 route and I'm wondering what experiences people have had in performance increase, specifially with 1.8L BETAs. Since I'm a hardcore DIY, I want to do the header myself and have a shop take care of moving the cat and the rest of the exhaust. So what do people do... intall the header, remove the exaust and drive one loud a$$ car to the shop or just have the shop install the whole bit?

Hey thanks!
Old 04-20-2002, 11:12 AM

I have the SR 4-2-1 header and it bolts right up to the stock exhaust but you won't see much of a performance increase until you upgrade to a better flowing exhaust. For a 1.8l i would recommend that you go with 2 1/4" tubing and a good muffler. You will problably have to relocate the 02 sensors and extend the wires so that they can reach the new locations. As far as installing the header yourself, it's not to hard to do. You could problably do a search and find alot of info on this topic.

[ April 20, 2002, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: MAXXTIB ]
Old 04-20-2002, 11:42 AM

I have SR 4-2-1 header with custom 2.25" middle pipe, 2.5" rear mandrel bent exhaust, and the power gain is awesome!

I recommend you to take it to the shop and put better exhaust at the same time. You won't see much gain just from the header.