Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Think I might have blown up another motor

Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Think I might have blown up another motor

I noticed the other day that there was a bad vibration above 4.5k while not accelerating (during shifts). At first I thought I'd lost a weight on the flywheel or timing belt pulley. Then it starting getting worse over the next couple of days (about 30 miles) and now the vibration is there at pretty much any rev so I've parked it. I thought either top end issues (cam cap) or a turbo issue. Checked both of those and nothing seems out of place there. My last idea is crank shaft issues.

It's a junk yard motor with about 60-70k and a lot of AutoX abuse.

Any Ideas?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Drain the engine oil through a sieve or other fine-mesh filter with a strong magnet in there somewhere and see what comes out? It's a mild pain to get to, but if the car is parked you might as well drop the pan and at least have a peek. Maybe, before that, have a quick compression and/or leakdown test.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

My first guess would be a crank pulley issue. I agree with stocker's action plan, just get in there and have a look.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 PM

yeah, that pulley or the flywheel were my first two thoughts but since it got worse and worse I wasn't sure. Once I had a weight come off the flywheel on my old cutlass and it heard the weight go and it was instant and stayed that way till it was fixed, quite different than this. Plus the flywheel was visible on it so rather easy to check!

I checked the oil levels and everything seems good, did an oil change about 100-200 miles ago (it gets rather frequent oil changes). I drive it so little and when I do drive it's mostly abuse so they end up happening at about 1000 miles.

edit: oh something that might be of importance! I'd forgotten because it was last year just before I parked it. I was out in the country and a softball sized rock fell off a truck and I ended up hitting it with the front drivers side tire. Bent a wheel and damaged the tire. A new wheel/tire and an alignment later it was better but I kept thinking that something wasn't right. I thought it was vibrating too much but were I move around vehicles a lot and the Tiburon is by far the hardest of them suspension wise I just chalked it up to that. That was about 75-100 miles ago.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Could be a cracked flywheel? If so you're lucky if vibration is all you got.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 AM

good news! it's not the motor.

Bad news! It's either the clutch or flywheel. Will be removing the transmission to find out soon.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I would check engine oil for shavings

then the transmission and transmission block for cracks and defects

and if anything else seems out of place I would just junk the car immediately

Curbs can shatter hyundai aluminum transmission case
Old 04-15-2012, 02:51 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

also check the drive shafts an other suspension components. u never said if it was moving or parked just stated all rpms with clutch pressed so sorry if its ruled out.

your poor car never catches a break
Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bigfishmoney
I would check engine oil for shavings

then the transmission and transmission block for cracks and defects

and if anything else seems out of place I would just junk the car immediately

Curbs can shatter hyundai aluminum transmission case

I don't think curbs are good for steel cases either! This one isn't getting junked unless it's in a serious wreck. Everything is low miles now as nearly everything has been upgraded at some point. It's pirmarily my autox car so breaking stuff is expected.

Originally Posted by tib _500
also check the drive shafts an other suspension components. u never said if it was moving or parked just stated all rpms with clutch pressed so sorry if its ruled out.

your poor car never catches a break

drive shafts = new

it was doing it sitting still but not when the clutch was in at idle. Its definitely either the flywheel or pressure plate. I'm assuming it's the pressure plate, I think I've just broken a bolt.