Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

synthetic, or conventional?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Yellow Tib
Default synthetic, or conventional?

I have a 00 tib with almost 120k miles all original motor, it has had conventional oil (as far as I know) all this time and I hear synthetic is so much better, but some of my friends say it'll run fine without it and it wont make a differance. Any links to a descent disscusion about the matter is fine too, I've neen searching the web for any real advice that isn't just propoganda from the guys selling the oil. So any advice would be appreciated, also what oil and filter should I use? is mobil 1 ok?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Mobil 1 is fine. I run Royal Purple and love it.

Running an OEM Hyundai filter is generally considered to be the best. I run WIX filters and have had no problems. I have run several other filters and none were okay except for OEM and WIX.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Try bobistheoilguy.com I think that is the actual website. or search bobistheoilguy he does analysis of different oils. But in short a good synthetic is better then any conventional oil as the additive packages and oil shock properties are better and more consistant. However a good synthetic does not have to cost an arm and a leg. Coming from Saab techs (I use to own a 9-3) the best for them was rotella t synthetic 5-40 which is diesel oil. But I used it and it worked great. I think the 40 is to thick for most Hyundai's but right now as hot as it probably wouldn't hurt. Anyways stay away from the 0w30 by mobil1 it is too thin IMO but all the other mobil1 oils are good. And besides you can usually get a deal on synthetics from the local autoparts store as they run monthly specials with 5 quarts oil and a filter. FYI I probably will be trying rotella t synthetic 5w40 (it is in a blue bottle last time I bought it) in the tib when I change the oil but the guy I got this from said he changed the oil a couple hunderd miles ago so it will probably not be until next month. And if you do synthetic get yourself a good highflowing and filtering oil filter no cheap ones as once the filter is full you will be running dirty oil. I have seen good reviews on the Bosch extended mileage filter, and like PureONe by puralator, but if you are racing go with K&N. Obviously these are my personal preference but it is after tearing the different filters appart and reading up on the SAE oil comparison charts that have help make up my mind.