Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Switching a MAP to MAF *RED*

Old 05-02-2002, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching a MAP to MAF *RED*

Ok this question is mostly directed towards red since he is using a 2001 Elantra engine on his tibby

I have a 99 tibby,... and i can get a REAL good deal on a 2001 MAP elantra engine

Heres the thing,... im not going haltech,... so i want to keep the engine maf

I understand that i need my old TB and IM,... but what other sensors are needed to be kept???

So Red,... since you have seen the engine front and back,... what do i need to change in that 2001 elantra engine in order to make it work with my MAF based ECU??

So far i understand the TB, IM, and (of course, even though its not in the engine) MAF have to all be transfered
Will the wiring harnesses fit?

thanx

[ May 02, 2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: JAWS 021 ]
Old 05-02-2002, 06:36 AM
Red

Actually, the block in my project is a 1998 Elantra -- I still *have* a stock 2001 Elantra engine to sell if anyone wants it. I didn't use it because, at least according to the Koreans, the earlier generation blocks were stronger than the new ones.

You should be able to use the stock 199x wiring harness on your 2001 engine, along with the rest of the sensors. The only parts that you will need to transfer from the 2001 parts bin will be MAP sensor... I'm not even sure the manifold is different, nor the throttle body.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:42 AM

oh ok

Cause the difference im looking at between a 2k1 tibby engine and a 2k1 elantra engine is about 100 bucks

The only thing that was stopping me was the whole MAP, MAF, and wire harness stuff

BTW the engine is going to pushed to around 220WHP

so i guess ill stick to the MAF one, since i will be counting on stock internals

[ May 02, 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: JAWS 021 ]
Old 05-02-2002, 06:58 AM

wait a minute though

Where would the line between MAP and MAF be drawn???

While the engine is MAP and the ecu is MAF,... there is going to be some conflict no???

I know the MAP sensor will remain unused,... but,... is the wiring setup different???

You say the block is weaker,... how about just the pistons and rods???

Im going to push this sucker to a reasonable amount,.... you think it will hold up?

Im sorry for all the questions,... its just that i have to make up my mind by tonight or else someone is going to buy it.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:07 AM

If you swap the 2001 Elantra motor in, the wiring harness will match up for use with the MAF sensor. The motor itself has all the same exact sensors... there is no "special" requirements for a motor mechanically to be compatible with MAF or MAP. The only deferance between the two is all electronic/computer.

So, you just rip your motor out, slap this one in, and hook it up the same way the other one was to your stock ECU. The motor you purchase will likely not even come with the map sensor, but if it does, just leave it unplugged.

Joel
Old 05-06-2002, 04:25 AM

thanx,...
im about to go pick up the engine in like 2-3 hours

im so exited smile.gif

Hopefully my bad luck wont bite me in the ass this time

any tips for the engine swap???
Ive switched an auto tranny once before,... but thats it
Old 05-06-2002, 04:44 AM

if thats correct,... i could still use the IM and TB i have now on my 99 tibby right???

BTW scca 01
Are the flywheels for the 2nd gen tibbies the same for the NEW map sensored beta???

I know the beta was revised in mid 99, so the flywheels differ,... did the revision in the new elantras also effect the flywheel?

Any other changes that i should know about???

I still have more mods up my sleeve so correct sizes would help,... instead of finding out the hardway

Thanx
Old 05-06-2002, 06:24 AM

If I remmeber red right, the crank pulley is different as well (he had to buy one before the swap).

Joel
Old 05-06-2002, 09:18 AM

ok i got the engine

things dont look 100% the same
i would say 80%

wiring harnesses are in different places and i think some of them are different

NOt sure,... i had to leave the engine at my dads since i have a final in 2 hours ARG!

ill try to take some pics

BTw,... so which TB should i use?

If it hooks up the same way,... then which would be most beneficial????