Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

To Swap Or Rebuild, That Is The Question.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

So, I am coming up on the final purchase of my beater car. And the J2 will be going away for the winter to get some engine work done. I was debating on rebuilding the engine with a whole bunch of stuff. But had another oppurtunity come my way that I may take. I'll break down both and let you folks chime in from there.

The engine rebuild would cost me around 800-1200 dollars. This includes:
Shot-Peened Rods
Low Compression Pistons
New Gaskets
Headwork
Balance, Clean, Magnaflux Engine
Hone Cylinders

Mind you, this is on a engine that is coming up on 100,000 miles, along with the automatic transmission. The transmission would stay the same, and would hopefully take the abuse of 15+ psi driving.

My other option came to me from a friend over at RDTiburon, who can get me a Complete engine and manual transmission sway for around 1,100 dollars shipped to my door. The BetaII motor has been found to fit directly into the chassis of the J2/RD with little modification, and would use the old ECU and sensors I already have.

Option B seems like a better bet at this time, as the engine has around 30,000 miles on it, and would come with a manual transmission so I could run higher boost, and not have worry.

Now, there would be some modifications done to the BetaII engine if I chose that option. I would be installing a decompression plate, and installing a clutch and flywheel at a later date.

Thoughts and Comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Id say the first one, with a manual swap wink1.gif
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

sean like i said there is always the option of me rippin it apart and sendin it to the machine shop

with that low of mileage you wouldnt need stuff like a acid bath and magnaflux...

im at around 1000(more or less) work in my motor now but ive told you all ive done to it

lemme know...
Old 08-11-2006, 01:29 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Do the 5spd swap...and later on down the road if you want to you can rebuild the new one.
The 5spd swap will make ur car so much more fun to drive. I used to have an automatic..I don't know how I could stand it.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:52 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

If you rebuild your motor it's almost like having a new motor.
and low.comp pistons are much more reliable than a decomp. gasket.

I say rebuilt+manual swap