Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Stock exhaust manifold

Old 04-16-2002, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock exhaust manifold

Would it be viable to cut the stock exhaust manifold just after the 4 pipes merge to 1 and welding the flange needed for desired turbo? Explanations of yeah's or nay's would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:47 AM

The stock exhaust manifold is a casting, upgraded ones are bent & welded pipe. Apples don't stick nicely to oranges.

edit: Actually I didn't clue in to the turbo part at first, some of those appear to be castings, but I don't know much about the different designs there.

Cheuk, onpol and UFB are the guys to talk to there--they all can have them made for ya I believe.

[ April 17, 2002, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Veniston ]
Old 04-17-2002, 08:57 AM

So where would one find a nice little Turbo ready Manifold...
Old 04-17-2002, 12:33 PM

Cheuk, Onpol, and UFB wink

They all have manifolds avaiable to us hyundai folk.

You can build an adapter plate, if your cat is bolted on (or you're like me and have the cat under the car). In some cases, the cat is perma-rusted/welded to the manifold. Ugly.

You can also have local machine shop make a manifold for you, it just takes longer and will probably cost more.

ac
Old 04-17-2002, 03:55 PM

Onpol is having his mechanic/machineist make my manifold (he also made his) the cost was $300, but got a better deal than that cause ive bought alot of stuffs from them.

and thats the secret... buy as much as you can from one person cause youll always get better deals! plus you buid a relationship and next time you need something that relationship is already established smile.gif
Old 04-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

indobird:
Would it be viable to cut the stock exhaust manifold just after the 4 pipes merge to 1 and welding the flange needed for desired turbo? Explanations of yeah's or nay's would be appreciated.
Yes..this is what Dragon Fabrications did for their turbo setups. THey use the earlier 1997 and 1998 "semi header" as their base, and just welded a flange on their to attach a turbo.

It is not ideal, but it works. Buying one through Champion (cheuk), Alpine, UFB, Onpol. Red is having an equal lenght turbo manifold made for him, but the cost is going to be about 750 to 1000 for JUST THE MANIFOLD...