Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sticky Transmission

Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Hey guys/girls this is my first post. I have a 99 Tib and it has around 140K on the engine and transmission. It's a MT and one of the problems I've been having is it likes to stick in a particular gear. Usually reverse after being parked overnight. I try to shift out of reverse and I need hulk hogan the shifter. The MT fluid has been changed recently (85W synthetic) but that didnt fix the problem. Also sometimes it wont shift into reverse very well unless I put it into neutral and let the clutch out. Is this just my gearbox starting to die or should I have used different oil? Seems to me like maybe the syncro is starting to fail.

Anyone have a similar problem?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you didn't use GL4 oil, that's at least part of the problem. Hyundai transaxles (auto and manual) are finicky about their fluids. Use either (in this order) Redline, Hyundai (from the dealer) or Royal Purple GL4 of the appropriate weight. Failing any of those, at least use a brand-name synthetic GL4. GL5 = 02.gif

That said, you might just be experiencing what it is to have a non-synchronized reverse gear. Sometimes shifting into another gear first, then trying to get into second, helps. Is this something that's been worse lately? Have you had the car long enough to tell if it did the same thing last Winter?

Tangent: do you have ANY trouble at all getting in/out of *other* gears? If so, you *may* have a clutch actuation problem, not a fluid or gear problem.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

hmmm well I didn't use any of those fluids, I think I used castrol. It hasn't become more of a problem lately, I'm pretty sure it has been like that since I got the car. But I didn't know our reverse wasn't syncro'd....Thanks a lot! Actually shifting into a different gear first usually does help. Other than that first gear is a little reluctant to get into but usually only when the car is cold.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

First isn't synchronized, either. I just LOL'd.

You will also note that you have a VERY hard time shifting to first without double-clutching and/or going <5MPH. Normal for this transmission. You're not going to be able to grenade the gearbox like on a BMW by downshifting to 2nd on the highway at 85MPH either.

If you haven't done it already, you might want to consider installing skateboard wheel bearings in place of the shifter bushings (search on this site) for improved shift feel.