Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Stalling When Shifting Down / Stopping

Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone!

This will be my first post, and I must really say that this looks like a really great and useful forum. I hope someone will take some time to help me figure out a problem I have been experiencing with my Tiburon 1.6 98 mod. (mileage: 124 000 km)

Here goes;

My car seems to be stalling whenever I stop at crossings. It sounds like my rpm is dropping and causes the engine to stop, but it instantly starts again when I turn the key. I have been scanning through the forums, and have picked up some threads by people with almost similar problems. I have seen suggestions about vakuum leeks, the AMF and the TPS but I am not sure wether these issues comply to me.

Any thoughts?
All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

first of all is your car auto or manual?
also what have you tried in seeing what the problem is, make sure as you said to check your hoses, and sensors

try spraying brake cleaner? i believe in your engine bay with the car running and if the idle goes up that means you have an engine leak

i cant remember off the top of my head anything else that will fix this, but the forum is filled with people that can help you so good luck with your search, and im sure by tomorrow you will have quite a few replies with good things to try and hopefully fix it with, good luck
Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

get your codes read man, it's the best way to be sure and it'll save you cash.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Agreed. Get your codes checked even if there is no CEL, there may be a pending code. Also check the arrow on your MAF sensor. I was doing some cleaning one day any put mine on backwards and had the same problem. Just a though.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Check that MAF direction and your TPS. Most common culprits.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 AM

I have found a couple of more symptoms with my car. I have been experiencing a very unstable idle, some times as high as 2000 rpm and sometimes as low as 500-750 rpm. The idle also stabilizes very slowly. Could someone please give me a short lesson in where to find the different sensors? (MAF, TPS and the Idle Control Valve)

The image shows a weak connection and a tube in wich I have found a leak.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=Sea...e=adv&;f=22

Search my man, they are all posted.

TPS is on the throttle body (THROTTLE Position Sensor, I wonder where it could be...), MAF = Mass AIR FLOW sensor (maybe it's in the intake path? Hmm...)

Search search search.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

The brass cylinder in your picture is more than like what is doing it. the I.A.C. (idle air control valve)
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Could you update your profile with location please? Is that a MAP based tiburon? Looks like it in the last pic. If so, there is no Mass Air Flow sensor.

This weekend Im going to take pics of every sensor I can think of and post a DIY on location and finding them.