Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

SR's CAI..?

Old 03-27-2002, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

and that it takes away some power
sup man, remember from what was gathered from some people out there, is that the loss is no more than 1%hp if any... the loss shouldn't be so great, since in truth the valve remains closed until the vacuum effect takes place...
Old 03-27-2002, 04:51 AM

Don't know about the power loss, but totoro, any of the things you metioned towards Minessota's weather (dirt, snow, dust, salt, etc) has anything to do with the bypass valve, do they?
The bypass is supossed to prevent Hydrolock (filter submerged in water, not even wet, but submerged) but it does nothing to dust or dirt.
Just trying to help, you could save some money there pal.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:13 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

yamaneko:
Just wondering why so many are interested in the bypass valve when theres a 99.9 percent chance that it will never have to serve its purpose, and that it takes away some power...
Bro, don't put me down for one.

I STILL can not wait for this product!
Old 03-27-2002, 03:26 PM

oh really? if it doesn't help in the manor that i mentioned, than i'm sorry, i don't need a bypass valve.. hehe sometimes i talk outta my butt when i'm tired
Old 03-27-2002, 11:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Random:

In my opinion, they are not necessary, but if you want to spend the extra money for the piece of mind...knowing you can puddle jump your heart out...then go for it!
Thing is you guys in California don't live in the 'crotch' of America, where it's usually hot, sticky, and WET.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:49 AM

I live in Buffalo where it's cold, hot, wet, snowing, windy, slushy and just about everything else....sometimes all in the same DAY! hehe...and I haven't had a problem at all without a bypass valve. Of course I usually drive more carefully when it is wet out...ie. don't drive up somebody's whazzooo so they're spraying you with water, don't drive through a foot of water (which is just dumb anyways), and don't race on wet roads on rainy days cause your taking lives in your hands. There really isn't anything to worry about! Just drive resposibly on crappy days.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:56 AM

Well somebody just gimma a holla when the CAI is ready for a groub buy.. and I'm in..
Old 03-28-2002, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

totoro001:
yamaneko: if i can pay a little extra, for nothing more than piece of mind up here in minnesota, the land of sand and dirt and road salt and snow, then i'm gonna do it.. i don't have the money to replace my pistons and piston sleaves and piston rings and valves if a molicule of dirt gets in there =
The bypass does nothing to stop dirt.
The AEM Bypass does one thing and one thing only. In the event of the filter being significantly filled with water...the flaps will pop open, and air will be allowed to enter your engine rather than your engine sucking up water.

If you look at where the Filter sits in the fender well, it is a good 6-8" above the road surface. You would have to drive through a 10"-12" deep puddle to actually DUNK the filter in enough water to cause the bypass to open.

Can anyone tell me how often they need piece of mind vs driving through 12" of water? If you do...fine...cool...go with the bypass. Either that...or if you are one of the people who likes to go "puddle jumping" when it's raining, and often drive through puddles on purpose, just to splash water around...then again...it might be good for the piece of mind. But for the average Tibby/Elantra motor, the AEM bypass does nothing but lower the gains you see with the CAI. Yes, that's right...even AEM's website states that the bypass adversely effects the performance of the CAI.

For those of you who wants to know how it works...go here
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/archives...ch01_0401.shtml
Old 03-28-2002, 01:51 AM

i dont know abou anybody else but i have personally driven my tib through just about 18" s of water and it was not pretty...i would definetly take a bypass valve! just my .02
Old 03-28-2002, 02:11 AM

ONLY1DB:
i dont know abou anybody else but i have personally driven my tib through just about 18" s of water and it was not pretty...i would definetly take a bypass valve! just my .02
No doubt. Some of us happen to live in wet environments, and every so often, we've got no choice but to go through some huge-ass puddle.

We can't all live in Cali.