Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Squeeling Belts - How To Adjust Drive Belts

Old 12-10-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the timing belt done and had the drive belt and power steering belts both changed at the same time. About a week after, had to bring the Tib back in for the belts to be re-tensioned. Here we are a couple weeks later and the belts are squeeling like crazy again - I'm 95% sure it's the power steering belt. The squeeling is brutal upon start-up and when cranking on the steering wheel... it dissipates and fades away as the RPM's are increased.

How do you tighten up the p/s belt? I can't find any info on it? Also, should you really lube (WD-40) or wax (crayon trick) the belts. I've never heard of that and I'm a bit skeptical.

Any info would be much appreciated. TIA.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

look at the power steering pump. there are two bolts, one hold it on a pivot point, the other gets tightened on a track. loosen both bolts, and then pull the top of the pump towards you and tighten the top bolt with the belt in tension. then tighten the bottom pivot bolt.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

hmaservice.com

Use the Username and Pass in the introductions section of our forum. Its in a sticky. It has diagrams and such if tibby's descrip confuses you.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:52 PM

Same thing happened to me.

If what tibby is telling you doesn't work try retighting the alternator belt. When I went back to the mechanic the power steering belt squeeled just like yours becuase the power steering wasn't getting enough volts.

If neither of these works, go back and see your mechanic smile.gif
Old 12-10-2006, 02:15 PM

power steering doesnt work off of electrical energy. the only way the belts are even semi related is because they both connect to the water pump, but that wouldnt make a difference.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

When this was happening to me on my old tib I changed the alternator belt and it fixed it..Now it is happening again on my other tib, I'll probably do the same thing. Plus changing the alternator belt is much easier than changing the PS belt.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:54 PM

does it happen when you are turning?

then its power steering. i doubt changing the alternator belt would do a thing.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:38 PM

First tightened up the p/s belt to no avail. Then tightened the main drive belt via the belt tensioner. Just want to make sure I did this right.

1) loosened off the tensioner lock bolt
2) tightened down the adjustment bolt (turned it clockwise)
3) tightened back up the lock bolt

Anyways, it stopped the squealing. I assume that I did it correctly but figure that it can't hurt to ask.

How tight should the p/s belt be? I pryed on the pump a bit to get the belt good and snug. Just don't want to do any damage.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM

you tightened up the timing belt to make the squeek go away? thats fine, just wanted to clarify.

the ps belt should be 3-5mm of play i believe.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

On my old tib it only used to happen when it was cold and when turning. I replaced the alternator belt and it never squeeled again.