Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Spray Paint vs Cheap Paint gun quality for an engine hoist

Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K1 Tiburon
Default Spray Paint vs Cheap Paint gun quality for an engine hoist

I've got a question for you guys, was wondering if you could give me some opinions.

I have a little project I want to do on my engine hoist that will require me to do a good bit of painting. I have an old engine hoist that is in dire need of a paint job (peeling paint, scratches, etc)

Normally, I would use krylon or Rustoleum, but when I was in harbor freight, I saw that I can pick up an HVLP paint gun for under 20$. Yeah, I know this isn't some amazing professional quality paint gun, but I figure I will need several cans of spray paint, and at over 5$ each, in the long run, It might be cheaper to just buy a cheap paint gun and buy the canned rustoleum paint.

I have a 20cfm@90 compressor, so air isn't a problem.

I am not a pro painter, I don't know what I am doing, but if I read up a little, this might be a good introduction into handling a spray gun. And it could get me to the point where I start to learn how to paint car parts with better equipment. Would this gun be adequate for what I want? or will I be better off just using spray paint?!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

harbor freight guns clog easily, spray unevenly, and typically are plain garbage, that being said, i know people who have taken the patience to endure them and have good 20 foot paint jobs.

me personally, i would rather buy a $100 paint gun than 5 $20 harbor freight guns....

if you decide to go through with it, heres a link with some tips

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...Pspraygun.html